Thunder PCLink settings

Mike928

Well Adam, I'd love to "Set up like my picture" but I'm obviously doing something wrong.

I've got 'Trigger Setup' and 'Trigger 1' exactly the same but 'Trigger 2' I only have the option for 'Cam Type" Off or 4 different camshaft selections?

I'm looking in 'Configuration', 'ECU Settings'? I don't have the G4+ Thunder connected.

[My motor is a V8 4 cams with the hall sensor on the rh exhaust cam and a reluctor on the crankshaft 60-2]

• 11 months later...

Hi, it seems ages since I was here but stuff gets in the way!

Everything is in the car now and I'm hooking stuff up. In my setup records I have my Speedo pulse wire connected to twice???

Plug A pin # 18, Aux4 Orange and Plug D pin # 8 An Volt 13

It sends 8 pulses per axle revolution, from a series of 8 magnets in the differential, so where should I have it connected?

I am also connecting the ABS sensors +&- in Plug C, so do I really have to have the diff pulse as well?

Mike

What is the pin assignment for the Link IAT plug? I have Plug B, pin 22, gnd out and Plug A6 pin 16, temp2 wired for it ready to be soldered to the plug pins.

Just now, Mike928 said:

What is the pin assignment for the Link IAT plug? I have Plug B, pin 22, gnd out and Plug A6 pin 16, temp2 wired for it ready to be soldered to the plug pins.

that's Plug A not A6?

• 1 year later...

I'm eventually getting close to my first start attempt with 6.5 litre Porsche engine with its Link G4+ Thunder EMS.

It's taken quite a while doing the rest of the car wiring, with many component mods.

I would like to know if I can set a 'soft rev limit'? at, say 3500-4000rpm. This limit could not be exceeded in park or neutral.

Also, I hate it when an engine starts cold and goes straight to warmup revs @ say 1100+ rpm and rattles like hell until oil pressure comes up. [Subaru]. I would like it to start cold at around 500 rpm for about 3 seconds, or until oil pressure is detected, then go to warmup revs of 1100 rpm until NOT then drop to standard idle of 650 rpm.

Is any of this possible?

IMG_2145.JPG

8 hours ago, Mike928 said:

I would like to know if I can set a 'soft rev limit'? at, say 3500-4000rpm. This limit could not be exceeded in park or neutral.

You can set your RPM limit to 3D mode, then add park/neutral status to one axis to change the RPM limit. 

8 hours ago, Mike928 said:

Also, I hate it when an engine starts cold and goes straight to warmup revs @ say 1100+ rpm and rattles like hell until oil pressure comes up. [Subaru]. I would like it to start cold at around 500 rpm for about 3 seconds, or until oil pressure is detected, then go to warmup revs of 1100 rpm until NOT then drop to standard idle of 650 rpm.

The subaru cold rattle is usually from the VVT/AVCS when the solenoids open from the RPM flare before full pressure has reached the actuators. 

I suspect getting a cold engine to fire with only enough air moving through the manifold to acheive 500RPM will likely be difficult.  Dont forget every car engine since about 1930 has fired straight to the fast idle RPM and most do that day in day out for 100's of thousands of miles without much drama or care so you probably dont need to reinvent the wheel.  If you really wanted to, then the way you would do this is enable the 3D idle target, put engine run time on one axis of the base position and idle target tables. 

• 5 months later...

yes. The blue light at the top [above the row of plugs]. In my installation the 4 plugs, ABCD are positioned vertically with the USB port under them and I don't remember seeing a light near the USB port?

It didn't connect properly, at least I don't think so?

I powered the ECU, then plugged it into my laptop with the data file on it and it remained as 'offline'.

I went to 'connections' and changed it from 'manual' to 'auto' and when I clicked 'ok' it flashed up the 'unlock' message and pclink disappeared.

I didn't mess with it any more for fear of not knowing what to do.

pdUBKZi.png

14 hours ago, Mike928 said:

it flashed up the 'unlock' message and pclink disappeared.

That sounds more like a software crash rather than a disconnection issue.  

Can you try again to see if it is repeatable, you wont hurt anything.  Is PC Link installed in the default C:\Link G4+\PCLink G4+ directory?

Before attempting to connect again, can you open up PC Link and go to >help>about and confirm you are using V5.6.8.3669

Yes, that's where the blue light is coming from and yes, the installation directory is correct.

I have my configuration file in the Link G4+ directory.

I have just pre selected 'auto' for connection and it has changed from 'offline' to searching' so I'm ready to go to the workshop and plug it in.

Then I use 'ecu controls' 'save to ecu' ? After I have unlocked of course.

1 hour ago, Mike928 said:

Then I use 'ecu controls' 'save to ecu' ? After I have unlocked of course.

You only need to do a store if you change some setting in the ecu and want it to be permanent.  You dont need to do a store after unlocking, that will automatically be permanent.  

You will need to get a stable connection first.  Once you have a connection that stays alive, first do a firmware update since your ECU is a few years old.  Then get connected again and go to >file>open and select the map you want to load in.  It will ask if you want to download the file to the ecu so choose yes.  It will do an automatic store after loading.   

OK, unlock was easy and connection is stable. Firmware upgrade said it was successful, turn of the power, which I did, now it says 'ECU is in boot mode, retry firmware upgrade' but nothing I tried will get rid of that message for more than 2 seconds accept unplugging the USB cable?

When you perform a firmware update the green bar should progress to about 75% then a message will pop up and tell you to power cycle the ignition, so you then switch ign off and back on again, then you click ok after that, it will then complete the update and load the backup map back in.  

If you are getting returning to boot mode after that, that would suggest you either didnt do the power cycle, or you have some wiring issue that is preventing the ecu from actually shutting down when you do cycle the ignition.  

So assuming you didnt actually miss the power cycle step, then what I would do to get back to working is perform another firmware update, this time when you reach the power cycle step, completely disconnect the battery, give it a few seconds, then reconnect battery and click ok in the firmware update tool to complete the process.