Delayed Lambda data

Guido

The car is a Skyline R33-GTR running on the MAP sensor

While using the "mixture map" i noticed that the data from the wide band sensor is delayed referenced to the MAP and all the other data. (At idle this delay is around 1", partial load around 0.2"

This is normal as the wideband sensor is mounted relatively far down the exhaust system. in front of the cat. Apparently this is needed to prevent an early death of the sensor.

Now i am wondering if this has an influence on the corrections the mixture map makes.

And i suppose this can also influence closed loop operation. (making it unstable at idle?)

I looked for a compensation of this delay but could not find one.

I am trying to prepare the car for an emission test.

The two original narrow band sensors are still in place. Perhaps i can re-activate those for <4000rpm.

All comments are welcome.

Uncle Guido

7 hours ago, Guido said:

Now i am wondering if this has an influence on the corrections the mixture map makes.

Yes it will influence the Mixture map so you do need to consider this effect when using it.  There is no software tool to compensate for the delay at this time, although it is on the wish list.

7 hours ago, Guido said:

And i suppose this can also influence closed loop operation. (making it unstable at idle?)

If you are using Auto mode CLL then the Lambda rate table compensates for the transport delay and system response time.  If you are using Stoich mode then the gain adjustment should take care of it.

7 hours ago, Guido said:

This is normal as the wideband sensor is mounted relatively far down the exhaust system. in front of the cat. Apparently this is needed to prevent an early death of the sensor.

That is not really true, most OEM type oxygen probes are designed to run very hot, the Bosch LSU4.9 for instance is rated for 930°C continuous exhaust gas temperature, and up to 1030°C for short periods.  This myth mostly came from Innovate controllers that controlled the pump cell much differently than the sensor was designed for so they became very sensitive to temperature changes.  Any other controller should be fine to have the sensor close to the engine or turbo.     

Also be aware that some controllers and sensors are very slow also which may contribute to your problem.  The worst I have seen is the old NGK AFX with NTK sensor, they are painfully slow.

thank you, this is very helpful. 

Does there excist, beside the 'export to .csv', a 'import from .csv' function for logfiles?

Or if i had a discription of th log file structure i coud program one myself.

Guido

Edited by Guido
Additional question