2005 impreza STI idle problems

RedZero

Hi guys !

I would really like so help over here. 

Since a while back my car has issues being on idle. It just keeps oscilating on engine RPM`s. without A/C on and even worse when A/C is on.

when driving the car is running smooth with no problems at all.

I already did some reseach here on the forum, had a topic with similar problems. tried the settings on the ECU provided on that topic, but it didnt seem to help. might even got a little worse,

I already checked out the obvious places for a vacuum leak but didnt find any

I made 2 logs, 1 without AC and 1 with AC. can you guys take a look and maybe help me out ?

idle oscilating no AC.llg idle oscilating WITH AC.llg

Ok, mostly your E-throttle target and base position table were completely wrong.  But I think the main ignition table and idle ignition table could be improved also to give much better torque control around idle.  So in the attached file I have changed lots, it may not work well initially so dont fret if it still no good.  Please load this map in and do another log, I may still need to make some tweaks.  

Oh please update to the latest firmware also before doing the log.  There were a couple of improvements to idle control in 5.6.7.

New idle.pclr

Oke, I updated the firmware.

Loaded the file.

When i first started the car it had a bit of an issue idling. But when I touched the gas pedal it was gone and havent returned ever since ( but didnt start the car cold again).

The car is idling normal now, only I forgot to test it with A/C on

I will make a log for it next time.

Thanks again Adam !

Oke ! had some time to do some driving and logging.

So in quick,

- The car at cold start is still having some issue`s.

- Warm idle is perfect. With and without A/C.

- When driving with A/C on it looks like its being held back when light on the throttle. (i dont know if it is related).

Car runs good, from 0, the car accelerates real smooth. so thank you Adam for that :D maybe you can take a look at the cold start ?

Steven

new idle driving to stop no AC.llg new idle driving to stop with AC.llg new idle warm start.llg new idle, cold start.llg

• 3 years later...

Hi, im back at it again.... :unsure:

The engine died due ringland faillure ( Who could have guessed... )

Now i got myself a fully build engine. The engine builder tried his best to make me a engine break in map.

However, I got back to the original problem again... The car is running like crap on idle. He tried by taking a look, but he doesnt know what is causing the problem.. but i know almost 100% is mapping related.

There are more issues, but that can be fixed after break in...

You helped me out great last time @Adamw , could you maybe take a look for me, or some one else who has time to look into it ?

The 2 most annoying problem is on low speed to idle.

For instance, when I run into a traffic jam, and need to move just a few car lenghts. The engine just start to live its own life, and stall after a few oscillations. I can manipulate this with my right foot. When im to late doing this, the engine will stall.

Also when coming to a stop, and want to reverse and park the car slowly. 50% of the time it just stalls and then Im not able to restart it again. It needs to sit for a 10 minutes or so... I am getting the feeling it just floods the cilinders with fuel...

Lambda / AFR is connected to the ECU this time. more sensors are to be connected in the future.

Few important specs on the new engine are:

Bosch 1300cc`s topfeed injectors

340Lph fuel pump with AN6 lines and FPR

GSC 272 cams , with build headwork (incl pocket ported )

Added a log from me arriving from work, parking it in the garage and give the throttle a blip inside the garage for the log.

Also added the tune.

Thnx in advance

log idle 1.llg map inrijden.pclr

Hi.

I'd increase your DBW deadband.. to say 0.9% and see how that changes things. (you have accel enrich constantly kicking in)

Also chage your Idle Ignition table to span from say (-500) 8deg to 32deg (500) .. and set the 0 for 15 or 20 deg. 

Try running open loop idle control.. (seems to work better for me)

With G4+ the bulk of your idle airflow should come from the top row of the E-throttle target table, and the idle base position table should only have the extra required for the cold start/fast idle.  I think your 3D table is also probably making it more complicated than it needs to be.  

Your gains are also way too high, this is the cause of the oscillation.  

I have simplified your idle set up a little in the attached file.  Try this and give me a new log.  I would also suggest you update your firmware to the latest, there were some improvements made to CL idle in 5.6.8.

Idle adjustments.pclr

• 4 weeks later...

I never got the notification you guys replied..

I brought the car back on a trailer. Told the tuner. Its close to undrivable normally. So its up to him now.

I'll send him your feedback. Hopefully he uses it.

Thank you and merry christmas

i only just noticed the map name is in dutch , if you would be unable to get this fixed i might help you out irl

i've seen quite some 2001-2012 subaru's with very very bad wiring , the quality of the wires and connectors is just not as good as gc8's etc

they corrode and break off at the connector

or it might be totally tune related , thats possible to