Gaugeart CAN gauge setup

Vitalka

Hello, first time poster. Currently running BMWLink E36X ECU in my swapped turbo E30. Got my GaugeArt CAN gauge today and plugged it in. Link Can Lambda is connected to CAN 2 OBD on the ECU and shows up CAN Devices. Gauge is connected to CAN/RS232 on the ECU. I enabled ECU Telemetry as per GaugeArt's instructions and set it up to show AFR, IAT, Oil Pressure and Boost. For some reason, the gauge is non reactive and not showing up in CAN devices. What am I missing?

Note your ECU is a G4+ not a G4X, I will move this thread to the correct forum shortly.

Your ECU is configured correctly according to GaugeArt's instructions, but the ECU is receiving no acknowledge from the gauge.  This can be caused by many factors such as the receiving device set up incorrectly, but most commonly it is a wiring issue such as H/L swapped or connected to wrong pin.  

6 hours ago, Adamw said:

Note your ECU is a G4+ not a G4X, I will move this thread to the correct forum shortly.

Your ECU is configured correctly according to GaugeArt's instructions, but the ECU is receiving no acknowledge from the gauge.  This can be caused by many factors such as the receiving device set up incorrectly, but most commonly it is a wiring issue such as H/L swapped or connected to wrong pin.  

Thanks for moving the thread to the correct forum. Can you take a look at the connectors? 5 wire connector is for Can Lambda and connected to Can 2 OBD. Two wire connector is for the gauge, the harness came from GaugeArt. It's connected to Can/RS232. Do you see anything wrong with the wiring?

IMG_20200820_230721.jpg

IMG_20200820_230709.jpg

I dont see anything wrong there.  I think you will have to get in touch with Gaugeart now to see if they can offer any troubleshooting advice.  The ECU setup and wiring looks correct.

I assume you have programmed the gauge for the correct ECU protocol etc?

4 hours ago, Adamw said:

I dont see anything wrong there.  I think you will have to get in touch with Gaugeart now to see if they can offer any troubleshooting advice.  The ECU setup and wiring looks correct.

I assume you have programmed the gauge for the correct ECU protocol etc?

I followed instructions from their website on how to enable ECU telemetry. I assume it came pre-programmed from them, but will get in touch with them today and update. Thanks for your help

It is unlikely the lack of terminating resistor would prevent communications but it is correct practice to have one so you should fit one.  I have come across some devices that are very sensitive to termination.

Error code 14 is AN Volt 2 at ground.  If you clear the fault codes does it come back?  It could be caused for instance if you had unplugged your TPS at some time in the past.

5 hours ago, Adamw said:

It is unlikely the lack of terminating resistor would prevent communications but it is correct practice to have one so you should fit one.  I have come across some devices that are very sensitive to termination.

Error code 14 is AN Volt 2 at ground.  If you clear the fault codes does it come back?  It could be caused for instance if you had unplugged your TPS at some time in the past.

You're right, I did unplug the TPS a few times to adjust the throttle cable. Do you know if G4+ has 120 ohm resistor? The gauge does

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/22/2020 at 4:05 AM, Adamw said:

Yes the ecu has a terminating resistor built in.

Hey, just wanted to update this. I had to send the gauge back to them and got it back few days later. Looks like my gauge had a faulty board which was replaced. Connected it to the ECU, set it up and everything is working great. Thank you for the help