Laptops constantly freezing on WOT pulls

sbn1979

So the last four g4x ive done, every single one makes my laptops freeze and now its becoming un-workable, bought a 3rd laptop and still randomly freezes at WOT, so thats 3 laptops on 4 different cars !!! All on latest software ....Using leads that come with the new ECU

PC Datalog - 2020-09-9 10;49;37 am cut out.llgx

Yeah doesnt seem like good odds.  The "freezing" would typically suggest an interruption to comms.  The only other time I have seen it is when there is a trigger problem/error the G4X software slows down a lot or temporarily freezes -  I assume while it puts all processing priority into re-syncing.  When you say "freezing" is it just temporary while at WOT and it recovers when you lift off?  Is it just PC Link or it the whole laptop frozen?

What sort of cars are have you had this on?  Do they have resistor plugs & leads if fitted?  Have you tried the laptop on both AC and battery to see if that makes any difference?  Are you on a dyno (hub or roller?) or road tuning?

Ok so all Evos 5-9 so far, at first it did do the freeze then re connect, but it seems to have got worse, where as now it locks up the laptop, the bizzarre thing is its on all 3 laptops....now i used br8es plugs which are resisted, and leads are oem, igintion suppressors ive not took much notice on as i do know people like to get rid of those. Another bizzare thing is that is fine on certain roads and horrendous on others......never had a issue with the g4+ doing this, same conditions?

Ok, thanks for the info.  Unfortunately I dont have a lot of suggestions or solutions to offer right now.  We have had a few users report a similar problem but they are few and far between and it doesnt seem to be a wide spread problem.  As yet the engineers have not been able to reproduce it or find a car locally that does it.  But we are working on trying to reproduce it and also make the comms more robust.  There were several changes to the comms error handling in the last PC link/firmware update so make sure you are always on the latest firmware/software. 

FYI, my daily driver is an Evo 7 and has had a G4X plug-in in it for more than a year and I have never had one connection issue with it.  Almost dead stock however.  

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem today lapping with the car. G4X on my 04 STI, using a surface go on the dash to log IAT while testing a new A2W setup. PCLink was freezing after a few sec at full throttle and never recovering. I had to kill the application with task manager. It did that on all sessions I did today.

On 9/14/2020 at 4:41 PM, Adamw said:

Ok, thanks for the info.  Unfortunately I dont have a lot of suggestions or solutions to offer right now.  We have had a few users report a similar problem but they are few and far between and it doesnt seem to be a wide spread problem.  As yet the engineers have not been able to reproduce it or find a car locally that does it.  But we are working on trying to reproduce it and also make the comms more robust.  There were several changes to the comms error handling in the last PC link/firmware update so make sure you are always on the latest firmware/software. 

FYI, my daily driver is an Evo 7 and has had a G4X plug-in in it for more than a year and I have never had one connection issue with it.  Almost dead stock however.  

Have the same issue on my 02 wrx running a v7 g4x plug in with a can lambda module. When i hit 10psi+ under WOT pclink freezes and i have to unplug the usb cable and plug in to reconnect. It also stops the internal data log when it does this. Jason the VP for Link in North and South America uses the dyno at the shop i work all the time since he use to own the dyno and lives 20 minutes away. With my car on the dyno or on the road using Jasons older lenovo laptop running windows 7 it didn't seem to have a problem and never froze/disconnect. With my lenovo e14 laptop running windows 10 with intel i5 10th gen processor it will disconnect on the dyno or on the road every time you go WOT and hit 10psi+. Also tried my bosses lenovo x1 carbon 7th gen running windows 10 and pretty much the same intel processor which showed it had the same exact problem as my laptop. My bosses laptop works with no problems on his 86 trans am running a vortec 350 using a g4x extreme-x. We built a customers 02 wrx very similar to mine running a g4+ and haven't had a issue with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a ferrite tuning cable from Jason and it fixed my problem. Been driving for a week with the new cable and it hasn't disconnected. For anyone having this problem i would try adding a clip on ferrite ring to each end of the cable.

• 7 months later...
On 10/3/2020 at 8:44 PM, SimonSTI said:

I had the same problem today lapping with the car. G4X on my 04 STI, using a surface go on the dash to log IAT while testing a new A2W setup. PCLink was freezing after a few sec at full throttle and never recovering. I had to kill the application with task manager. It did that on all sessions I did today.

Quick feedback that the latest firmware seem to fix the issue in my case. tx