SR20 Startup Issues

pacotaco345

Hey guys,

I've been converting my car over from power fc (MAP based) to a link PnP over the past couple weeks and finally got to the point where I was comfortable trying to get it started. Some background, the car ran before the switch, on e85, 11:1 comp, some mild cams and a garrett gtx 2860 gen 2. I wasn't really happy with the attention to detail the tuner put into that setup and well, now here I am.

I'm using the s13/s14 base file with all my relevant data swapped into it some notables: flex fuel, gm 3 bar MAP, gm IAT, aem UEGO x wideband controller, injector data for ID1050x, AEM 24/1 CAS disc. I've got all the setup done in the ECU, the sensors all read correctly, the CAS/triggers are reading correctly, and the car just won't light off.

Right now the car will occasionally catch, fire all 4 cylinders ONCE, then die. Most of the time it won't even do that - just cranks and cranks with not so much as a pop or a bang. Any ideas? I've been going through the cold start settings but since the car doesn't even want to start I'm kind of shooting in the dark. Just looking at the default fuel table compared to ones I've seen on other EMS the default link table seems a little lean, but I haven't been able to find any other link maps to compare it to for reference, and I don't really want to go messing with that table before I can get the car to idle.

Any ideas?

If it fires occasionally that would suggest timing is in the ballpark but there is not enough fuel.  Cold start on E85 can be difficult - especially when the rest of the tune is not optimised.  If you are in traditional mode try a drastic fuel adjustment such as doubling your master fuel number.  If in modeled mode then halve your engine capacity as a test.

2 hours ago, Ducie54 said:

Base timing set? Is it 360 deg out.

Attach a log logging all parameters and your map so guys can give u feed back.

Map attached, can't really log because the car won't run for longer than a half second. Finished up syncing the timing a few minutes ago, it was about 10* out while cranking, again should've been close enough to start but now it's spot on.

1 hour ago, Adamw said:

If it fires occasionally that would suggest timing is in the ballpark but there is not enough fuel.  Cold start on E85 can be difficult - especially when the rest of the tune is not optimised.  If you are in traditional mode try a drastic fuel adjustment such as doubling your master fuel number.  If in modeled mode then halve your engine capacity as a test.

It's set up as modeled-multi fuel, I'll try that trick and see if it gets me anywhere once the battery is charged enough to give it another go.

When it catches all 4 cylinders light nice and crisp, then it just shuts back off. I think it may be flooding because whenever I turn the fuel pump off it catches and dies. With the fuel pump on it'll catch for a moment the first try, then just crank and crank with no sign of life after that. I don't like taking wild stabs in the dark but I feel like that's the direction this is going.

I just realized I posted this in G4+ instead of G4X - fail on my part, anyways thanks for the help so far!

red car.pclx

11 hours ago, Adamw said:

Your fuel tables arent suitable for modelled mode (table represents VE so should range from about 50-100%).  Import the attached table into both fuel table 1 & 2 will be a better starting point.  

VE Fuel Table .lte 1.39 kB · 3 downloads

It works! Warmed it up and spent a bit getting the idle rock solid and the VE table around that area dialed in. I'll start digging into CLL control, and the mixture table and start dialing in the rest of the VE table. 

Thanks again for the advice! will report back as I continue to get this thing dialed in