Trig1 Error - 2grfe

chickeneatman

Hello, I have been trying to get my 2grfe started and haven't been having good luck. When I crank the motor, the trig1 error counter counts up. Usually 2 or 4 times. I received Vaughan's tune and have matched my settings to his where relevant. It seems to be that the timing is way off, but I cannot set the base timing without it running. Does the trig1 error stop the motor from being able to start? I have verified all my injectors and ignition coils are working correctly and in the correct order.

I don't know if it is relevant, but my 2grfe is specifically a 2013 Lotus Evora S motor. I don't think they would use different cam/crank position sensors. 

Lastly I have used the Trigger scope, but it seems it doesn't save. Can someone walk me through how to use it correctly?

I took a screenshot just in case. Here is the file I saved. When I open it, it is empty.

The steps I have been taking is: Crank motor, click capture, keep cranking for about 10s, stop cranking then click save.

TrigErrorPost-fix.llgx998167222_Trigerror.PNG.1972e0df3f1c23fd2151e0d722e66364.PNG

Lastly, here is my current tune:blur2 - 20201004.pclx

My motor is a modified 2006 Aurion and I used Bank 1 (the rear bank) inlet cam for my Trigger 2 signal, your trigger scope matches mine.

You should be able to check the trigger offset while cranking it over and your attached triggerscope file looks fine with no obvious issues (the triggerscope only logs a small number of runtimes).

Do you have a normal log of the engine cranking?

Looking through your basemap I would recommend trying a trigger offset more like mine (-356), it looks like it is currently set to 0 in your map.

Also both your fuel and ignition are off in that basemap

Yup, we are using the same Trig2. Bank 1 inlet cam. 

I wonder if maybe I I have some settings wrong when I open the log file that I don't see it?

I don't currently have a normal log, I'll pull one tomorrow.

I saw your offset was set to -356. I tried to match that but I believe the setting is locked until base timing is set? 

Ignition and fuel were turned off while I was attempting to diagnose the trigger error. Didn't want to keep putting fuel in the motor.

16 hours ago, chickeneatman said:

I saw your offset was set to -356. I tried to match that but I believe the setting is locked until base timing is set? 

That setting is the base timing, you have to set it from within the calibration window (when the window is open it forces ignition timing to a constant value).

Having fuel off is recommended when setting the base timing but you need to have ignition on to set the base timing as you are comparing the ignition signal timing to the engine position.

1 or 2 trigger errors when you stop cranking doesn't surprise me,  it is expecting another tooth but it never occurs because the engine stopped spinning. If the trigger error keeps counting up continuously that would indicate you have a real issue.

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

That setting is the base timing, you have to set it from within the calibration window (when the window is open it forces ignition timing to a constant value).

Having fuel off is recommended when setting the base timing but you need to have ignition on to set the base timing as you are comparing the ignition signal timing to the engine position.

1 or 2 trigger errors when you stop cranking doesn't surprise me,  it is expecting another tooth but it never occurs because the engine stopped spinning. If the trigger error keeps counting up continuously that would indicate you have a real issue.

Ahh that would make sense. The error counter incremented by 2 almost every time I cranked the motor. I didn't see the error this last time when I actually got the motor to start and idle.

Thank you for all your help Vaughan. Having your tune to compare to helped me find a lot of little things I missed the first time I setup the Ecu.