Help Understanding How Link Control the Subaru AVCS

Anthony Parle

I would really appreciate it if some one could explain to me how the AVCS is controlled on the Subaru EJ engines.

The engine has AVCS on the intake only I currently have it turned off.  It is my understanding which maybe wrong that when off the cam will be fixed in one center position.  I assume that when the Link is set up I can retard or advance the cam 10 degree each way.  If so how is this done?

The ECU is a G4+ Thunder.  The Cams are from a WRX and have 3 groves for the sensor to pick up.   

"Home position" or "zero" for the intake cams is fully retarded against the mechanical stops.  Anytime the solenoid is not energized the cams will be at home (typically anything less than about 35% duty cycle).  Typically at idle and at high RPM they will be fully home.  Once you apply more than about 40% DC to the solenoid the cam will start to advance (More DC = advance faster).  I dont know what the max advance is on the EJ's but most engines from that era would allow 45-60deg advance (crank deg) from home position.