BMWLink – #E36X: Question regarding ignition outputs

TnF

Hello. I have a question regarding a friend planning on running VAG "R8" coils.

These do have a build-in igniter and take 5V signal logic and fire on the falling edge. They work great on all Link ecu's i came across.

Now this friend (living abroad) has a Link g4+ pnp E36X and he had issues getting them to work.

When i checked the manual you can find this in the page below:

e362.thumb.jpg.1f81aea4a2a5f9c94ee59f7959fa45f9.jpg

Assuming the ignition outputs have been unchanged from a G4+ xtreme he should able to configure them as falling type by not pulling them up and taking the signal directly from the output.

However it seems not to be that case (can't confirm it personally with my equipment) and the outputs seem to only be able to function as a rising edge for this specific pnp model (as the factory ecu uses an internal igniter in the ecu and you tried to make it pnp compatible with the factory harness). Is this correct or not?

Kind regards

The E36 plug-in has on-board ignitors to drive the stock dumb coils. You can drive most modern smart coils using the 5V pull-up as mentioned in the manual above.  However the R8 coils are an exception to this rule - they are a bit of an odd coil and require quite a high drive current from the ignitor, the 5V,470ohm pull up suggested in the manual wont work.

Some guys have gotten them to work by using a 12V, 470ohm pull-up but I have my concerns with long term reliability by driving them this way.  

You can take a look at this thread where we finally got them to work with the 12V pull-up: