Jump to content

Evo 7 running Evo 4-8 G4+ Sequential ignition conversion questions


Recommended Posts

Hi again, I am converting my evo 7 to sequential ignition. I know I need to reassign IGN3 and IGN 4 to ignition type, which means the AC Clutch (Pin 22) and AC Fan Hi (Pin 32) and AC Fan Low (Pin 34) need to be moved to other IGN channels. I elected to use IGN5 for the AC Clutch and IGN7 (expansion harness 1) for the AC Fan. Since I have deleted the FPR Solenoid (Pin 3) and SAS solenoid (Pin 53), I am repurposing those wires to act as my IGN triggers since they're already run in the harness and would otherwise be redundant. 

My first question is IGN5 is OFF in the tune file as default and Link manual says NC for this pin (35). However my car has a 12v wire on this pin, and an online wiring diagram calls this out as IC Spray activation light. Why does the Link Manual say NC for this pin? I use the intercooler spray switch manual and auto modes for other purposes and I have deleted the spray system, am I right to just insulate and tuck the 12v wire and repurpose IGN5 for AC Clutch? 

Second, the Link manual states pins 32 and 34 are both IGN4, my wiring diagram calls these AC Fan Hi (Pin 32, Green/Red wire) and AC Fan Low (Pin 34, blue wire) - each has it's own wire of a different colour why would they be connected to only one pin/function on the ECU side? Does the Link not natively have the capacity to drive the fan in two speed states?

The tune has IGN4 defined by deafult as Engine Fan 3 as its function. Where do I move both these wires from pins 32 and 34 so that I can use IGN4 for an ignition coil trigger? Do I insulate and tuck the low wire, and drive only the high wire from IGN7? It wouldn't make sense to move Pin 32 to IGN7 and Pin 34 to IGN8 becuase they both cannot be Engine Fan 3 type nor could each be controlled independtly that way...

Bit bizarre the way the link doesn't seem to properly control the OE functions, makes things like this needlessly confusing. If you could please shed some light on my options that would be most appreciated!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, EvocentriK said:

My first question is IGN5 is OFF in the tune file as default and Link manual says NC for this pin (35). However my car has a 12v wire on this pin, and an online wiring diagram calls this out as IC Spray activation light. Why does the Link Manual say NC for this pin? I use the intercooler spray switch manual and auto modes for other purposes and I have deleted the spray system, am I right to just insulate and tuck the 12v wire and repurpose IGN5 for AC Clutch? 

Yes pin 35 is connected to Ign 5.  The current manual shows this

 

5 hours ago, EvocentriK said:

Second, the Link manual states pins 32 and 34 are both IGN4, my wiring diagram calls these AC Fan Hi (Pin 32, Green/Red wire) and AC Fan Low (Pin 34, blue wire) - each has it's own wire of a different colour why would they be connected to only one pin/function on the ECU side? Does the Link not natively have the capacity to drive the fan in two speed states?

Ign 4 is connected to Pin 20,32 & 34, As far as I know the factory ECU's also turn both condensor fans on together (even though they are called high/low and are wired to separate pins) - at least it does on my JDM evo 7.  The main reasoning for us combining them is the factory fan relays are what we call "hot fed" - they are live all the time even when ign is off.  If you use a normal aux output to drive this type of circuit then they will back feed when ign is off and flatten the battrery.  So they need to be connected to ignition outputs which dont have flywheel diodes so dont back feed.  There are only 4 spare ign outputs so you dont really want to waste 3 of them just to have two speed AC fan.  They are combined just to give the user more flexibility to have spare outputs to do other stuff.

 

5 hours ago, EvocentriK said:

The tune has IGN4 defined by deafult as Engine Fan 3 as its function. Where do I move both these wires from pins 32 and 34 so that I can use IGN4 for an ignition coil trigger? Do I insulate and tuck the low wire, and drive only the high wire from IGN7? It wouldn't make sense to move Pin 32 to IGN7 and Pin 34 to IGN8 becuase they both cannot be Engine Fan 3 type nor could each be controlled independtly that way...

The best option will be to connect the wire from pins 20,32 & 34 all to Ign 7.  You can wire 1 of them them to Ign 8 and control independantly if you really wanted to (GP Output can be set up to do fan type functionality) but personally I would wire them together and keep the valuable ign output spare for something else.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Adamw said:

Yes pin 35 is connected to Ign 5.  The current manual shows this

 

Ign 4 is connected to Pin 20,32 & 34, As far as I know the factory ECU's also turn both condensor fans on together (even though they are called high/low and are wired to separate pins) - at least it does on my JDM evo 7.  The main reasoning for us combining them is the factory fan relays are what we call "hot fed" - they are live all the time even when ign is off.  If you use a normal aux output to drive this type of circuit then they will back feed when ign is off and flatten the battrery.  So they need to be connected to ignition outputs which dont have flywheel diodes so dont back feed.  There are only 4 spare ign outputs so you dont really want to waste 3 of them just to have two speed AC fan.  They are combined just to give the user more flexibility to have spare outputs to do other stuff.

 

The best option will be to connect the wire from pins 20,32 & 34 all to Ign 7.  You can wire 1 of them them to Ign 8 and control independantly if you really wanted to (GP Output can be set up to do fan type functionality) but personally I would wire them together and keep the valuable ign output spare for something else.

 

Thanks Adam. My factory ECU has no wire at Pin 20. This agrees with the online pinout for the Evo 7 harness. It has wiring at Pins 19 (air flow reset) and 21 (rad fan speed), whereas the Link manual shows NC for Pin 19 and IGN4 at Pin 20. This isn't correct, at least for my vehicle and other evo 7's. So it would seem that only Pins 32 and 34 are related to the AC Fan (Engine Fan 3)?

Given I have no wire at PIN20, and I will move Pin 32 and Pin 34 to IGN7 on the expansion harness, should I wire IGN4 for the 4th coil trigger to pin 20, 32, or 34? 

 

evo 7 pinout ecu.PNG

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pin 20 is high speed fan on Evo 4/5/6, and some Evo 7, it is not used on most 7's and not used on any 8's.  

 

1 hour ago, EvocentriK said:

should I wire IGN4 for the 4th coil trigger to pin 20, 32, or 34? 

You can use any of those pins - just make sure there is nothing connected to the other 2 that you arent using.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Adamw said:

Pin 20 is high speed fan on Evo 4/5/6, and some Evo 7, it is not used on most 7's and not used on any 8's.  

 

You can use any of those pins - just make sure there is nothing connected to the other 2 that you arent using.

Ok, thanks Adam. All done with the ECU side, just need to make the coil harness now. As a note, I really wish the Link manual had better documentation. Understanding the differences between the models is critical when working with a 'multi-fit' ECU type. I'd wager you'd get a lot less support posts and contact if the manual had clearer tables and specific pinout / wiring info pertaining to each model the plug-in is supposed to work with so the end user could refer to the section for their specific application. You guys are fantastic online and on the phone, it would be good to try and lower the support request rate though I'm sure!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2020 at 1:21 AM, EvocentriK said:

I really wish the Link manual had better documentation

Is there anything specific you would like to be presented clearer on the EVO4-8 stuff? I can make changes to make it easier for the next person.

Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...