after 7 years still LOVING my V88... but

Howard Coleman

was doing a bit of road tuning yesterday and my motor shut down like someone had snipped the crank pickup. fortunately i was logging. the event happened at 2730 rpm, 1 psi boost, 22% TPS (going up an incline).

ordinarily i would just look at the log details and fix the problem, however the items that jump out from the log, as everything else was fine, were the ECU Temp going from 28 C to 150 C  in a couple of tenths of a second as well as battery voltage going from 14.65 to to zero in the same split second. these two measures happened exactly when the motor shut off.

after gathering a few of my wits at the side of the road i cranked the motor, which spun over normally, the Batt V when cranking was normal but it felt like no iGN. 

after a tow home the following morning the motor started as nothing had happened. of course i am not going for a drive until i get some answers.

there are a few peculiar items in the recent maps after i re-installed the harness.

my fuel pump would not activate. it has been set at Auxiliary Output IGN 7 and has pre-cranked etc since 2013. in order to get running i de-selected Fuel Pump and selected Test (ON). no precrank but it starts with the key on. i do not understand why i have had to pick another setting. i have checked all the fuses and relays etc and of course they are all fine or the pump wouldn't run on Test.

another item is that after the shut down my Mixture Map will not work. it is blank when i right click the window.

my car is a pretty fully buit RX7 FD. ignition is 4 IGN1-A coils. 

map attached. log too large but i can email it if it would help.

'hope for some help and Greetings to all the ViPEC/Link family.

1 A oct 31+.pcl

The log would help, you can share via, google drive, onedrive, dropbox etc.

But the first thing I see when I open your map is a big red error across the top that say "Analog 5V supply error".  All sensors are powered by the 5V so that is probably your issue.  Most likely there is an intermittent short on one of your 5V wires or one of your sensors is failing.  Pressure sensors often short the 5V when they fail.   I suggest set up a big digital gauge on a new layout page and add the "Analog supply" parameter to it.  This should show near 5V all the time.  Next time it plays up, connect your laptop, go to this screen, and by unplugging one sensor at a time and shaking/wiggling loom etc until the voltage returns to normal. 

Your fuel pump doesnt work because you would have had two outputs assigned to fuel pump - Inj 7 & Ign 7.  You can only have one assigned.  If you have two fuel pumps then set up one as a GP output and set its condition to the first pump so they both prime together.

Looking at that log all the voltages crash 12V, 5V, battery voltage. I suspect it might be a broken joint on the pin the micro uses for a voltage reference. 
You could try warming the ecu up with a hair dryer to see if you can induce the issue. ECU temp / operation should be fine up to 60degC

i greatly appreciate the help extended.

i did change the multiple fuel pump settings as Adam advised and presto, all is good. i sure don't remember adding the second setting but a single proper setting restored my fuel situation.

the 5 volt Fault code (74) has yet to be conquered. i run 11 Analog Volt items. i managed to post all of them into my log page and examined them carefully. there are no breaks and nothing out of range.

i have looked for years for a global 5 volt supply read-out and have been unsuccessful. i was able to turn ANV 1 into 0 to 5 volts but the others just show the end data rather than raw V. 

i did check my digital fuel pressure sensor with the key on and it was a steady 4.97 V. i will check all 5 volt items.

i did go to the Fault Settings page. all 11 are set at 0 V low and 5 V high.

i have had Fault Code 74 for many years and have never seen any break in the ANV data in my logs.

i will go out tomorrow for a short hop, generate a log and then zero in on exactly when the Fault Code is generated.

the shutdown of my motor, purely out of the blue, is my principle concern.

it has never happened before. immediately after it happened my engine would crank, fuel pressure was correct, but it wouldn't start. there was zero physical indication of anything amiss other than the motor wouldn't start. i do suspect lack of spark. the two items that caught my attention were zero battery V and 150 C ECU Temp. both happened in a tenth of a second when my motor shut down.  

as to warming it up to induce... the ECU was only 28C when it happened.  

then, the following morning all was well?

should it be internal, what are my options? can it be diagnosed/repaired? US or NZ?

ECU is on the way to you.

looking at the log, i note that Batt V registered zero at 5:27.286

ECU Temp showed 28 C at that time.

at 5:27.383 ECU temp changed to 150 C.

perhaps a difference in the sensor speed?

the other item is that all of the 5V sensors continued to generate proper data... so while the Batt V shows zero, the 5 V output continued normal.

does this strengthen or weaken an interior ECU issue?