16 injector possibility

alain

I am currently gathering the parts to twin turbo an LS2 for my '69 Camaro. Because the car will be street driven, I am wanting to make it dual fuel, being a set of 8 injectors for normal petrol and another set of 8 injectors for 100% ethanol. I'll be using a Holley low profile intake with dual injector set-up.

I currently have a street driven Dodge Dart with a twin turbo 3232ci on 100% ethanol, but have found that it's quite limiting with a lot of street driving. It has a ViPEC V88.

I've been looking at different ECU's and because of the good experience I have with the V88, I would prefer to buy another ViPEC or Link ECU. Is it possible to expand the unit with 16 low impedance injector drivers, so you could set a switching point based on MAP reading? Say at -10 kPa you would switch the secondary fuel pump (Aeromotive 5gpm) on and at 0 kPa you switch directly over from the primary to secondary injectors (with their own fuel map), but still have the ability to use sequential injection.

I see in the Link software I can set multi-fuel and have dual maps and specify a second set of injectors, but how do you connect them as hardware when you only have 8 injector drivers?

The multifuel setup is intended for a system with the ethanol and petrol mixed together in the tank and the split being controlled by an ethanol sensor which detects what percentage of the fuel supplied to the engine is ethanol.

A system where you have dedicated injectors for ethanol and dedicated injectors for petrol is theoretically possible but you would have to set it up in the ECU as a staged fuel system and feed that staged percentage into the multifuel setup as your ethanol percentage.

For a system with 16 injectors you could set it up as group staged where each odd numbered injector drive is connected to two primary (petrol) injectors and each even numbered injector drive is connected to two (secondary) ethanol injectors.

The current G4X range only supports High Impedance injectors but it is often possible to run low impedance injectors with the use of a ballast resistor, this would depend on the specific injectors you are using though as I imagine you are wanting to use low impedance injectors for a more specific reason than them being a factory item.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I would use it as a staged fuel system with dedicated injectors for petrol and a set for ethanol (~100%). The issue would be is that I would have to run it as group staged, instead of sequential. Group staged wouldn't really matter for the injectors spraying ethanol as you are spraying nearly 40% more than you would with petrol anyway and that would also be under conditions where you're not looking for fuel economy and drive-ability in for instance traffic, etc. For the primary, petrol injectors however, that's a completely different situation. The conditions would prefer having sequential injection, but that's not possible in that setup.

I'm leaning towards having both sets connected parallel on the injector drivers and then programming a GP output to switch which set gets 12V supply under the relevant conditions.

Yes, I need low-impedance driver capability as I will be running 72 lb/hr injectors for petrol and 160 lb/hr injectors for the ethanol. The ones I have are low-imp.

• 2 weeks later...

I would think it should be feasible to work this way and use the mulit-fuel blend table to base 0 (fuel and timing table 1) and 100% (fuel and timing tables 2) to something other than the ethanol percentage on the axis and thereby allow you to make all the necessary tables switch between the two fuels as well.  Possibly like a Digital input signal for example from a switch that also changes power supply from one set of injectors to another.  Then you can use one tune to tune two fuels and injectors as the mutli-fuel stage allows different fuel and injector size parameters, and the 3D dead time table allows you to use multi-fuel for dead time differences between the two sets of injectors if there are any.

Fooling around in the G4X software for example: 
image.thumb.png.de85d4be16c2f54c1f97988e5d68ffe7.png