PC Link locking up/Disconnecting while engine running & No RS232 with G4x?

I have a customer with an MX5X that I tuned in August (so I know there is probably a firmware update or two required at this point) and I was having issues with the USB connection to the ecu locking up pretty frequently.  Trying different USB ports on my laptop had varying success with some seeming to work a little better than others (HP Proboook 650 G1), but ultimately once in a while the software would lock up and the only way to reconnect was to close the PC link program, and reopen it.  I changed the longer portion of the USB cable (did not change the part that connecs inside the ecu) and it seemed to be better but not solve the problem completely.  The customer since leaving has had a very difficult time connecting whenever the engine is running.  It is pretty much guaranteed that the software will lock up if the engine is started while connected to the ecu.  So while workable, this is far less than ideal.

Today the customer came by as I offered the possibility that a serial cable may provide a more stable connection.  I took the serial RS232 com cable and moved the CANSER cable on the board from the control unit to the CAN1/RS232 position on some bench test units for proof of basic communication concept before sending him on his way.  I tried with two different G4X plug ins and neither one would connect to the RS232 COM 1 port on my laptop.  I tried a USB to serial adapter and it also, unsurprisingly, would not connect to that either.   I pulled out a Xtreme G4+ I had on the shelf and it connected via serial without issue.  I then tried with a G4+ plug-in and it also connected without issue via RS232 serial.  I have tried the suggested 115200 baud rate as well as the slow connection radio off and on, as well as all the other baud rate options.

This leads me to believe that serial RS232 is not supported on the G4x?  I checked on a Xtreme G4x I have on the shelf as well and no communication via serial RS232.  

This may not even be a necessary step if updating the firmware solves the connection issue - which I will try when it is feasible to get the customer on Teamviewer to go through that process.  Is this an isolated issue or have others experienced similar communication problems?  I think I've had more issues on the G4+ losing connection or locking up typically than the G4x with the exception of this one unit.  

Any help or insight is appreciated.

The RS232 comm port on the G4X is now a totally separate port from the PC connection, so it cant be used to connect to PC Link at this time.  

There are definitely some other users reporting similar connection issues with G4X to what you describe.  The engineers have been working hard on it for months trying to get to the bottom of it and some of the recent firmware updates have made improvements but I still dont think it is totally solved.  In some cases where they have been able to investigate they have found wiring issues and in others it seemed to be isolated a specific laptop so there has been no silver bullet yet.  It has been hard to diagnose as we havent been able to reproduce in-house. 

In the next PC Link release (release tentatively planned for next week) there is a totally new direct USB connection method that bypasses the virtual com port system altogether, and for the few people with problem connections that have tried it so far it has been encouraging.  I will PM you a link to try.

On 11/8/2020 at 3:06 AM, Adamw said:

In the next PC Link release (release tentatively planned for next week) there is a totally new direct USB connection method that bypasses the virtual com port system altogether, and for the few people with problem connections that have tried it so far it has been encouraging.  I will PM you a link to try.

Can you shoot me this link as well @Adamw???

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2020 at 10:06 AM, Adamw said:

Hi Adam can you give me this link ? because every time when I start the engine the PClink it's locking up. Thanks  

Well just did a remote session with customer using the new USB direct beta firmware.  It worked better for sure - maybe a little better than 50/50 it would stay on and connected when starting the motor.  A very nice improvement for sure, but not perfect yet either.