Engine Off Button

koracing

I often seem to (when tuning startup and idle) have a need to kill the motor without killing the ignition power.  Hydra EMS had a stop engine button that was very useful.  So far the trick I've used in link is to highlight the the 9-12 cells right around where the engine is idling and type 0 enter, followed by a bunch of Ctrl+Zs to restore those values.  It would be nice if there was a button to do this in the software with a dedicated button.

In the Hydra the way it worked is it would only be active below a certain RPM, and not if the wheel speed was above zero, but i'm sure there are several ways this could be handled.  What I'm doing works ok for now, but this *is* a wish list.

Link ECUs have a stop input (like a DI) which can be used from PCLink with a little trickery. In G4X go to Digital Inputs -> Stop Switch and set to Always On. In G4+ the easiest method I can think of is to set a spare Digital Input to stop switch and change the On Level to activate/deactivate it.

The Stop Switch input applies a 100% fuel and ignition cut when active.

If I could add a softkey toggle button to the screen or assign a hot key to this it would certainly be a little more elegant than what I'm doing now, but as it is, it doesn't sound much simpler than what I'm already doing. 

Perhaps the ability to assign a Fn key or software toggle button to inputs/outputs may be a useful item for other purposes as well?

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2020 at 8:29 PM, koracing said:

If I could add a softkey toggle button to the screen or assign a hot key to this it would certainly be a little more elegant than what I'm doing now, but as it is, it doesn't sound much simpler than what I'm already doing. 

Perhaps the ability to assign a Fn key or software toggle button to inputs/outputs may be a useful item for other purposes as well?

This would be especially useful on vehicles with no ability to turn the engine back on without powering off completely! Like VAG and Fords.