Fans turning off when engine gets hot

dallas

I just got my car back from tune and it overheated on me. Fans turn on at 187 but when it boiled over there were no fans on and the car was in engine protection I think. Rpm and throttle cut was on. Is there a setting I can look at to make sure the tune doesn't have my fans turn off in this way?

I'm using 350+ g4

There is nothing in the ecu I can think of that would tell the fans to turn off at high temp.  Most tuners would set up the rev limit to be lowered when the engine is over-heating but there is generally no relationship to the E-throttle.  

So if your E-throttle is going into limp mode it sounds like you have some other possibly un-related issue.

8 hours ago, Adamw said:

There is nothing in the ecu I can think of that would tell the fans to turn off at high temp.  Most tuners would set up the rev limit to be lowered when the engine is over-heating but there is generally no relationship to the E-throttle.  

So if your E-throttle is going into limp mode it sounds like you have some other possibly un-related issue.

Thanks Adam. Can you suggest maybe a strategy to force high and low fans on when when over temp within link? Maybe a strategy that isn't dependant on coolant temp per se? I'm not 100% certain but, if I'm seeing head lift and losing coolant; I think the issue could be that my fan switch is separate from ECT sensor? (IE switch isn't seeing the temp ECT sensor is reading). I'm using factory sensor setup.

Ill be at the track and logging tomorrow so hopefully that will shed some light into the issue. Im hopeful I can send my tuner some suggestions before tomorrow.

I think you'd want to activate the fans from the ECU, rather than your separate fan switch - that way you've got full control over when they activate, and can log when they're on and off.

You can wire them up individually as two separate fans, and use the Engine Fan 1 and Engine Fan 2 parameters to turn them on based on ECT, or just use a single fan output from the ECU and run them both together. It depends on how many spare outputs you've got. You'll want to add a relay, as the Link's outputs won't drive a fan directly! Feed one side of the coil with an ignition switched feed, and wire the other side of the coil to the output on the Link.

Hmmm. Thats a good idea. I was looking at the fan settings an noticed fan 1 has 2% hysteresis and the other 2 fans had 11%... could this be a contributor? Also the other two have that were 11% had a function tied to the AC being on.... im not running AC so.... kinda grey on these parameters.

I do like the output to manual switch