RB25det crank trigger options

drift1ben

Hi all,

Im currently building a RB25det and I have decided to sway towards the Link Ecu to run it so here I am :)

I am in the early stages of the build so as of yet I haven't chosen a model of Link but I'm hoping someone can help shed a little light on a query I have.

Iv brought a Harmonic damper with integral crank trigger pick up (30-2t) BUT they have delivered a 12 tooth by accident, my question is it more beneficial to have the 30-2 tooth in stead of the 12 tooth?

At a guess am I right in thinking the 12 tooth would rely more on the cam sensor being spot on hence the 30-2 being better? 

Many thanks

Ben

I assume you mean 36-2?  30-2 isnt common.

But yes you are pretty much correct, the main advantage with a missing tooth wheel is the location of the cam pulse is less critical.  You also get faster start up as the ecu can sync as soon as it see's the missing tooth (max 1 crank rev).  With the 12 evenly spaced teeth then the ecu cant sync until it sees the cam tooth (potentially up to 2 crank revs). 

The higher tooth count will also give you slightly less timing drift during rapid crank acceleration - although the difference between 12T and 36T is barely noticeable.

Note, you can just remove a tooth of the 12T wheel to make it 12-1 also.

Hi Adam

many thanks for your reply, I couldn’t of asked for a more detailed response.

36-2 is exactly what I meant , I don’t know where I got 30-2 from. 
I’ll ask the company to swap out to the correct harmonic balancer because I’d rather not remove any teeth and risk the pulley being out of balance. 
Out of interest, is there a standard type hall sensor that link seem to lean towards?