Cheap basic electrical schematic package

PeterHay205

Can anyone recommend a cheap (ie preferably free) and easy to use schematic drawing package that I can use to document the wiring I have done in our race car? I find myself rifling through scrappy drawings in my notebook trying to remember what I did when I added a fan, or an additional temp sensor etc. I also made up my own patch harness to adapt the Link to the factory wiring, so I would like to properly document that as well. Thanks, Peter

I've been using a program called TinyCAD for my schematics. It's a freeware program, runs on Windows, and is pretty easy to figure out and use. It also includes a pretty decent library of electrical/electronic components (resistors, diodes, etc.), and you can create your own components to add to the library.

More info & download can be found here: https://www.tinycad.net

On 12/22/2020 at 3:42 PM, Adamw said:

For basic stuff, I use a free online one called scheme-it, from Digikey.  You just need to set up a log-in.  One of my drawings as an example below.  

DQ7ATeb.png

Hi Adam - I have setup an account and the package looks good. You wouldn't happen to have a custom symbol for the Link A and B connectors on the G4+ Storm by any chance? That would save me a lot of time documenting my patch harness.

On 12/27/2020 at 4:05 AM, PeterHay205 said:

Hi Adam - I have setup an account and the package looks good. You wouldn't happen to have a custom symbol for the Link A and B connectors on the G4+ Storm by any chance? That would save me a lot of time documenting my patch harness.

Typically for a schematic you would represent a high pin count connector with all connection points in a single row or a row on each side.  Having a connector with 4 rows is going to make the schematic messy and hard to read with wires crossing over all over the place.