R8 coils V88 mini direct fit V1.1

rkde

Hi I am having some difficulties with setting up the ECU to run Audi R8 coils. I have been running the ECU for years and this change is just to move from the wasted spark system on the mini to direct injection.

I have run all new wiring at the correct size for power and ground from the fuse box, there is a ground for the cylinder head and then finally the ECU interface is as follows;

• Pin 1: IGN 3 (Originally did coil pack 2&3) - Now cylinder 3
  • Pin 2: IGN 4 (Originally did coil pack 1&4) - Now cylinder 4
  • Pin 3: IGN 1 - Now cylinder 1
  • Pin 4: IGN 2 - Now cylinder 2

This is where my confusion starts; 

I have run the 10hz ignition test and can confirm all wiring has the correct 10hz and low resistance within the wiring, I have 12.5v+ available at the coils.

When I turn the engine over I have albiet a weak spark on cylinders 3 & 4 and nothing on 1 & 2 - I am totally baffled as I would have expected if anything the original outputs which now supply cylinders 1 & 2 would be work and 3 & 4 would not    

Serial number 12842 V88 topboard - firmware 4.10.2 boot 1.4

With reference to the weak spark, is it expected that the vipec needs a booster for the output? I wouldn't have thought so because there is an igniter within the coil.

Thank you - Richard

I've read again what you've said, are you stating I can't use the Audi red top cop I have with this ECU?

Is there another option? I'm guessing not because I can't change it to be wasted spark with COP on the other channels?

11 hours ago, Adamw said:

The easiest option will be to stick with dumb coils (usually two wires).

Cheers Adam, Whist disappointed I unwired all the COPs and wired back in the stock coil system - then the newly build engine came to life and ran well. I will close the book on it from here but may visit again in the future when I have a little more time to play.

What would be been great is if I could have set the system to wasted spark but use output 1&2 and not have it default over to 3&4 but it does not look like it will allow me to do that

Next to try and understand the CAN1 output to the racedash - must say it looks a whole lot easier on the G4+ version than the Vipec...