Twin Spark Engine

Guest |491|

Guest |491|

Hey,

I am wanting to wire up my ViPEC v88 to a Alfa 2ltr 16v 4 cylinder twinspark engine. The existing setup looks to be using 4 ignitors configured in wasted spark mode (1&4) (2&3). I assume it is this way you dont need 8 ignitors

Questions

1. Does the ViPEC support a 4 cylinder configuration with 4 ignition output setup in wasted spark mode not 2?

2. Will it ever support 8 ignitor mode(TS Mode), with variable delay on second spark?

Cheers

Jase

To date we have always fired the two plugs at the same time.

It could be done to have a timing split but it has never caused an issue firing both at the same time so it has never been on the to do list. Or at least not at the top of the list.

• 9 years later...

Same question a decade later?

My engine builder is suggesting your Monsoon product for a performace build of my 2.0 Alfa Twin Spark (8v)

Did this ever come up again or move on in development.  I would have hoped that egtting some dealy between sparks may have taken better advantage of this set up?

Keen to hear your thoughts.

All of the Alfa TS engines fire both plugs at the same time - even the later 16v ones with the one central plug and the smaller one off to the side.  Firing twin plugs with different timing is pretty rare due to the higher susceptibility of the colliding frame fronts to cause knock.  It is usually only very large bore (95mm+) twin spark engines that delay one plug a little - typically only 1 or 2 degs.