Idle issues

Boldie

Hi people,

I have a issue with idling. Motor cold starts fine and warms up good. Sometimes after coming down of revs or if motor is turned off and then on it won’t hold an idle. 

overview of vehicle:

competition 4x4 run a L98 with a kelford J cam. Computer is a Storm G4x using a “standard” ac15 idle control valve. Cable throttle body. No o2 or maf sensors. 
no speed sensors.

I hope I have given enough info to get the ball rolling. 
cheers

Without an o2 sensor now and a PC datalog showing the problem, there's very little information to go on here.  The stepper idle control can sometimes have that issue if it's not properly set and the ecu hold power setup is correct.  Your hold power keep alive time is set to 0.5sec - it's probably necessary to keep it on for a longer period than that to rehome the idle stepper motor - maybe try upping that to 10 seconds and see how that does.

First I would update the firmware. 

It's very hard to tell what's going on with how it is tuned without any air/fuel ratio readings.  Do you know if it's going lean or rich when it stalls out?  Can you install a wideband and log with that installed?  If the idle oscillates as much as it is but then ends up in an area that wasn't well tuned that can certainly cause the idle to not recover.

What happens if you increase the idle stepper position warm?  I see you have it set to bipolar reverse stepper - is that correct for your stepper motor?  Without knowing that I'm unsure if the values you have for base step position is good or not - the steppers I've seen in the past ran low values when idling higher, and high values when idling lower, but I think those were standard orientation steppers.  Your hold power at 0.5 seconds isn't likely long enough to rehome the stepper at key off as I mentioned before, so try increasing that. 

The proportional and derivative values for idle timing control are both much higher than I've typically seen (usually 0.5-1 versus your values of and 30/20).  Your Integral on the idle valve is 5 which may or may not be too agressive, but your idle control MAP limit of 64kpa is being exceeded when the rpms fall and the idle control stops trying to catch the motor as well.   

I feel like resolving this issue is going to require some tuning to get right as opposed to just a single changed setting or two.

You are still on old firmware, 6.17.8  The latest is 6.19.**  Download the latest PC Link from the Link website and have another go.

Your alternator is not working in the log, battery voltage is only 11.6V at the end of the log.

The idle valve is near fully open the whole time so the throttle stop may need to be opened a little more.  

The idle settings will not affect its ability to "take throttle", that is a warmup tune issue.  

Fix up those points and do another log.