Start problem ford puma

Spyrosgeo

Hi and happy new year. 

I have a problem with ford puma 1700cc vvt. On trigger mode i have select ford duratec vct. I read correctly engine speed, the engine start, vvt works all is fine. If i stop the engine and recrank it to start sometimes start, sometimes not. 

When it doesn't start the engine sound like as ignition on wrong cycle. 

If i recrank the engine may start and work correctly. 

I send a trigger scope. 

What do you believe is wrong? 

received_405003420835590.jpeg

Ill talk to the firmware team on Monday to check the sync points match but it looks close enough to me.  Im wondering if maybe there is a voltage or waveform issue while cranking.  Can you disable ignition and do another triggerscope while cranking on the starter motor.

• 1 month later...

Hmm, its definitely not a very nice cam signal at cranking speed, the signal is not much bigger than the level of noise and there appears to be some significant ground offset too.  Is this using a custom loom or is it using a modified factory loom?  If it is a factory loom I would try running a new ground to the cam sensor to see if that helps clean up the signal a bit.  

You may improve the sync reliability by playing with the trigger 2 arming threshold a little more.  I would try 0.4V @ 0RPM and 0.5V @ 1000RPM.  

Another small modification that may potentialy help is reducing the cam sensor air gap - this can often be done by shaving a little plastic off the sensor mounting flange.  If you reduce the gap by say about 0.1-0.2mm it will likely improve the signal.