Extreme and MGX dash.

434josh

Does this dash have to connect to can 2 only or will it work with the round can port on the front of the case as well? Extreme G4+ ecu. 

I am asking because I already have a Can EGT box hooked to can 2. 

Would it be better to hook the dash to can 2 and the egt box to the dash?

5 minutes ago, Adamw said:

Either option is fine.  You can have many devices all on the same bus.    

Do whatever is easiest.  I would probably use CAN2 since you already have the wiring there.  

Adam I'm kind of CAN stupid so to speak. How would I wire two different items to can 2 at once? Or would the dash be wired to can 2 and the egt box wired to the dash?

Like this:

wG6DvRF.png

Or a slight variation like this, where you crimp two wires into a single pin at one of the device connectors (effectively 0 stub length):

4oKLk1y.png

And more devices just get added to the bus so final architecture looks like so:

IWp01a8.png

1 hour ago, Adamw said:

Like this:

wG6DvRF.png

Or a slight variation like this, where you crimp two wires into a single pin at one of the device connectors (effectively 0 stub length):

4oKLk1y.png

And more devices just get added to the bus so final architecture looks like so:

IWp01a8.png

Thanks Adam. 

How do I let the ecu know that's it's receiving from both the dash and the can egt box? The box is the Amp EFI can egt. 

14 hours ago, Adamw said:

All data is sent on unique ID's, you tell each receiving device which ID the data is on.  So for instance the dash will only be looking at data on the bus with an ID of 1000.  The ECU will only be looking for data with whatever ID the EGT's are on.

Adam one last question. 

Is there any way to run a different GPS with the Link/AiM dash? $270 usd is steep for that gps and I don't need any of the features it offers other than speed. 

I use $25-30 gps units from Cirrus, Marek, etc. Just curious if those could be made to communicate to the dash or even the Link ecu. 

The AIM GPS module is CAN bus. If those alternative devices have a configurable CAN bus then it may be possible to use one.  The other option is just connect a wheel speed, tailshaft speed or gearbox speed sensor to the ecu, which will be sent to the dash over CAN.