Failing G4 ecu

MackaJJ

Hey everyone, first post here!

I've got an Evo 8 with a Link G4 ecu. I believe I've got a failing ecu due to symptoms I'll outline next.

Last time I drove it, a couple of times it appeared to turn off or lose power for a split second with engine light appearing and then several times it randomly completely turned off. The last time it did this, it then didn't fire back up. Ignition powers on fine and cranks but no fuel pump priming. Eventually it then started up and got home. The following day it wouldn't start up and when I tried to plug my laptop I got the "failed to connect to ecu" error. Previously I have connected fine using the old PC Link software.

I left it for the week and came back to investigate thinking potentially failing fuel pump or relay. I tried starting it up and it did fine. Managed to connect laptop to ecu fine as well. No error codes or faults were recorded either. Turned the car off and the pc disconnected. Went to connect the pc again and it failed. The car wouldn't start again either.

To me it seems like an ecu issue but I'm not sure. Has anyone experienced anything like this? I also have a link g4+ from another evo 8 here but haven't used it yet. Would it be safe enough to install and copy the g4 tune (saved to laptop) onto it as is?

Cheers, Jordan 

If the laptop cant connect it is typically a sign the ECU is not powered up.  I suggest you pull the cover off and switch on ignition, there should be a blue or green LED glowing on top if the ecu is getting power.  If no power the post back and I will give you some info to help diagnose.  Possibly a failing main relay or similar.

Yes, you can load your G4 tune into a G4+, it will be close enough to run and drive gently, but do not drive it hard without the tune being checked.  There are many new features in the G4+ that may not be set correctly by the G4 map that could influence the tune.