What is shield /gnd ( A7 & B17) used for ?

Edmund T

Hi all, 

I would like to know the purpose/use for the shield/gnd connectors A & B from a Fury.

As an example, a 2 wire magnetic reluctor from the help files;   states Trig +Ve to Trig 1 (Connector A9) and Trig 1 -Ve goes to sensor ground (A24-25). From the diagram below, the shielded wire ( at one end only) is also crimped together to the sensor ground (A24-25).

My question, what is shield/gnd ( A7 & B17)? I couldnt find any info in the help files on this. I presume shiled/gnd is for the shielded cable. 

Thanks in advance. 

image.thumb.png.6f46295e544b1e32ab974845ebf74c0e.png

The Shield/gnd pins are also connected to sensor ground.  In our link looms the trigger grounds and shields are all spliced to the shield/gnd pin A7.  On the B loom the shield/gnd pin is used for the knock sensor grounds and shields.

Adam,  Can you please help confirm my wiring design to wire up a BMW relcutor crankshaft sensor and a hall effect camshaft sensor to a Fury G4X ecu. From the help files, the cam & crank sensor ground is spliced together with the cable shielding to Shield/Gnd. This includes the crankshaft Negative Trigger signal. Is the table below correct?

I understand that saperating the trigger and knock signals to respective shield/grd is to avoid interference and is good practise.

image.png.a32fe5f57911fd78a6a27bb528c4db4d.png

You possibly have it right but the way that table is written with 4 rows for the crank sensor makes it a little unclear.  So I will try to describe crank sensor wiring better below.  Your proposed cam and knock wiring is fine - although keep in mind there is an 8V output pin on the Fury specifically designed to power hall sensors so possibly take advantage of that rather than having to splice into the 12V supply.  I havent yet found a hall sensor that hasnt been happy powered with the 8V. 

Crank sensor wiring: On a reluctor with a 3 pin connector, the 3rd pin is the shield.  So you would run a 2 core shielded cable from the ECU.  At the ECU end of that cable, one of the core wires and the shield is spliced together (along with cam ground and shield) and finally connected to A7.  The second core wire connects to A8.  At the sensor end of the cable, the ground core wire connects to pin 2, the signal core wire connects to pin 1 and the shield connects to pin 3.