Extra Cam postion sensor pulses

zwhitebread

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its Cam positions sensor errors. I dont get trigger errors unless I am driving but it doesnt always happen. Would the LH CPS cause a trigger error if it was missing pulses or getting extra pulse since it is Trigger 2? And would this cause the trigger error counter to go up? 

Here are a couple of trigger scopes.

https://we.tl/t-Wf2iMiSGDK

I would also like to add that I have retraced all my wiring and I cant find anything that is obviously wrong. I depinned the ground wires from the link and ran new ground wires from the ecu to the block to make sure there wasn't a broken cable or something in the main harness but nothing changed. I also checked the ground wires of everything with the amp clamp and did not find anything there. It there anything else that I should be checking? I'm starting to feel like I have gone over everything at least twice, but I'm sure I am missing something or forgetting something.

Side note: I would really like to figure this issue out because I leave for another race this coming Wednesday. 

Thanks for continuing to put up with me and with helping me try to trouble shoot!

2 hours ago, zwhitebread said:

Would the LH CPS cause a trigger error if it was missing pulses or getting extra pulse since it is Trigger 2?

I dont know how the sync test works for this specific trigger mode off the top of my head, but quite often no an extra spike or edge on the cam would not cause a trigger error.  Generally for "sync" the ecu only looks at the cam sensor at a specific crank angle or sometimes counts the number of edges between two specific crank wheel points.  So unless something unexpected occurs right in the area that it is doing the sync test then the trigger decoder wont see it.

Those trigger scopes all look fine.  Is the LH inlet giving position errors now?  If you set the VVT lockout to some high RPM to disable VVT are you still getting cam position errors?

Can you give us another log.  I dont have any further ideas yet but a fresh log with the VVT locked out may help me come up with some thoughts.  

Could you try to do a log with the VVT solenoids unplugged, see if we get position errors like that.  Obviously cams will sit at zero and it may not run great, but cam position should still be reported so any errors will show.