Microsoft Surface - Slow PCLink

CallMePuff

Hey all,

I think this has been posted before, but I haven't been able to find a solid solution to the problem. I use a Surface Pro 4 to tune with, and PCLink just doesn't really like to run on it for some reason, which is certainly not due to a lack of performance.

Opening the application without connecting to an ECU is normal, but once you try to connect, it'll say "ECU Connected" then freeze for 20 seconds or more, then slowly go from choppy to normal. To get to a useable state can take a minute or so.

It's worth noting that I have manually adjusted my resolution from the Surface default to a smaller resolution that doesn't require any UI scaling, which provided marginal gains.

I'd love to keep using the Surface and would be happy to provide whatever information I can to help narrow down why it's happening.

It is generally to do with the graphics.  Many tablets and performance laptops have extreme power saving functionality on the graphics chip.  Set windows power plan to max performance and also look through the advanced settings if there are any other power related settings for the display adapter.

I noticed the same thing when using a surface. Freezes for 20s, and opening of menus is really slow.

I actually had the same issue with my new, regular, laptop.

On the surface I never resolved it - although I didn’t put too much effort in there.

On regular laptop, in the end I found the Intel graphics driver was causing delays, so I removed it and went back to the standard windows default one - the downside is that the 3D table graphic no longer renders text.