Researching Engine Management for Rover V8

RodBromiley

Hi Guys

I’m UK based. In lovely Cheshire. 

I have a Westfield Kit Car and have a 3.9 Rover V8 Hotwire system. Currently it has an MSD and Mallory Disi set up with a Tornado Chip in the current ECU.

The car runs Cats on the exhaust. I’m happy to loose the cats or keep them as loosing them means a few extra BHP 

I’m not looking to track the car, it’s a tourer with some fast road use when the hot hatches fancy their chances. 
Like many, I’m wary of the yearly MOT inspection and the emission checks the car needs to pass to be road worthy. 

So my needs are 

MOT MODE so I can get my yearly MOT

TOURING MODE getting as much MPG as I can get when driving into Europe for a month 

BOY RACER MODE So if the lads are out tearing up Wales, I’m fast enough 

May I ask what set up and Link kit I would need to purchase so I can budget, don’t want to find out later I needed to purchase many add ones,  I have located a guy in Cheshire who can do the install and set up on his rolling road already

Kind Regards 

Im pretty sure those rovers had a 4 wire stepper motor idle valve, so the minimum ECU we have that is compatible with that is the Storm.  If you changed to a 2 wire idle valve then you could possibly get away with one of the cheaper Atom or Monsoon ECU's.  

I dont know what is required for the UK MOT checks but in most cases I would say you wont need those "3 modes".  MOT and Touring will have pretty much the same requirements, optimised ign timing and well tuned fuel with closed loop keeping it close to stoich at all times.  The only difference with the "race mode" is you would probably have it a little richer at WOT for combustion cooling.  Assuming the MOT didnt do their emissions test at WOT then you could meet all 3 requirements with just the one tune.

You would generally get quite a significant performance improvement by moving away from the dizzy and fitting a crank trigger and a couple of 4 tower coils, so consider that, but the dizzy can still be used if you want.

You can search for dealers here:  https://linkecu.com/dealers/dealer-network/  I dont have a recommendation but find one with a good reputation you trust and one that is interested in your car/engine and you cant go too far wrong.

MOT emissions test for your vehicle is likely to be at most a basic Cat test - it'll be checking for stoich at idle and free revving at ~2500rpm, and less than 200ppm H/C.

You might be lucky and not even need the basic cat test, in which case it's basically a visible smoke test, so again, roughly stoich at 2500 will be fine - the Link ECU can definitely do that, plus cruising, plus power from a single tune.