E-throttle module wiring for G4 Xtreme

MartinS

Hello, I'm wiring up a Subaru EZ36 to my G4 Xtreme Red.  To manage the e-throttle, I also have the e-throttle module.  I am wiring that in now and have run into a problem.  In my engine wiring I have Aux 1-4 running the four valve timing solenoids.  I have Aux 5-8 set up as a stepper motor to run my EGR system.  I left Aux 9 and 10 open for the e-throttle (how it is wired in the manual for the model with built in e-throttle..?Xtreme Silver).

The wiring instructions for the module I recently purchased however say signal 1 must come from the ECU's Aux 1-4 and Signal 2 must be from Aux 5-8.  Is there a way I can rectify this conflict and still have my valve timing and EGR?

Thanks in advance.

23 minutes ago, Adamw said:

A Red G4 xtreme doesnt even have aux 9/10 does it?  Do you have aux 9/10 showing in the software?

I haven't got that far...still wiring, haven't accessed ECU through software.  Wiring loom has aux 9/10, manual says it has aux 9/10, but I haven't accessed them.  

Just reading the manual which came with the unit. Says it's the manual for G4 Xtreme and Storm.  Says Storm has 8 aux outputs, Xtreme has 10.

8 minutes ago, MartinS said:

I haven't got that far...still wiring, haven't accessed ECU through software.  Wiring loom has aux 9/10, manual says it has aux 9/10, but I haven't accessed them.  

Just reading the manual which came with the unit. Says it's the manual for G4 Xtreme and Storm.  Says Storm has 8 aux outputs, Xtreme has 10.

Having said that, at one point I thought my Xtreme red had outputs for e-throttle at 9/10.  I then discovered the Xtreme silver had these outputs specifically for e-throttle not the red.  I made the (hopefully not false) assumption this was because of the current draw of the e-throttle and in the red these were not able to supply the current necessary, hence the external module requirement.

This topic is not really covered in the manual.

2 minutes ago, Adamw said:

hJRzCr1.png

My manual does not have that line.  I take it this means my ECU will not drive all the outputs I need.

My manual does not distinguish the Xtreme red from the silver.  This has led to my confusion about the e-throttle capability.  With VVT alone, I cannot use Aux 1-4 for signal 1.  Looks like I cannot have VVT and e-throttle let alone EGR.  Is this correct?  

Everything I had read online about the G4 Xtreme suggested it would work for this engine.  The information necessary to make this determination is not readily available unfortunately.  I wish I had known this before making the secondary purchase of the external e-throttle module 

1 hour ago, Adamw said:

If your ECU has Aux 9/10 then you can likely connect the E-throttle directly.  If it doesnt have Aux 9/10 and you have already used all other auxes then I dont see what you arre going to connect it to.

Ok, I'm getting close to the point of powering things up (side tracked by body and suspension work).  If I don't have aux 9/10, which of the current Link lineup do you think would best fill my needs?  G4X XtremeX?  Other than the e-throttle issue, the G4 Xtreme I have does everything I need.  Since I have a stand alone e-throttle module, would a G4X StormX be enough?  

Do you not have an old map out of your ecu you can look at?  

10 minutes ago, MartinS said:

would a G4X StormX be enough?

You are still going to have the same problem as the Storm only has 8 aux outputs.  It is a bit more flexible in that VVT can now be on any aux but E-throttle module must be Aux 1/2 or Aux 3/4.  Stepper motor still needs Aux 5-8.  So if you got rid of the EGR or changed it to a solenoid then it may be an option. 

16 minutes ago, Adamw said:

Do you not have an old map out of your ecu you can look at?  

You are still going to have the same problem as the Storm only has 8 aux outputs.  It is a bit more flexible in that VVT can now be on any aux but E-throttle module must be Aux 1/2 or Aux 3/4.  Stepper motor still needs Aux 5-8.  So if you got rid of the EGR or changed it to a solenoid then it may be an option. 

The G4 unit is new in box.  What fooled me was it was purchased by PO to run the same engine (PO ran a business which included Subaru engine swaps into Vanagons) but never used.  Actually I thought he was a Link dealer but apparently not.  I assumed it was up to the job but looks like isn't.  I'll have to get finished it wiring in and hooked up to software to be sure but I'm not optimistic now.

In the likely event I need to upgrade to a G4X, can I still use the two wiring looms which came with the G4?  I have spent many hours wiring them into a plug which plugs directly into the engine wiring loom socket making it essentially plug and play for engine replacement.  I'd really rather not do that again...

63771010933__AFD6EC4B-2A3A-4475-A86A-1AEB4BFC3ECA.jpeg

Yes pinout/loom is pretty much the same through all of our wire-in ecu's, the odd small change for say a Fury with internal wideband but usually a direct plug in and go to swap between ecu's.  

A couple of other thoughts:

I have little experience with EZ36, but with most NA VVT engines the exhaust cam isnt worth much in terms of engine performance.  Generally it is there more for EGR to improve emissions & economy, rather than increase torque.  In fact with some engines I have tuned I can swing the exhaust cam from full advance to full retard with barely a detectable change in torque.

The stepper motor EGR is also probably not a nescesity.  

So if you dont have aux 9/10 you could perhaps consider these comprimises to make it work with what you have.  You can always leave the wiring there so you can enable these functions later if an ecu upgrade was decided on.    

Note, if you want to power up your ecu to check, the only two wires its needs in 12V on pin A5 and ground on A34.