16v 4age with ITB

thorns

HI,

I am looking at installing ITB's from a 20v 4age onto my bigport 16v 4age and possibly using a Atom ecu.  

With the atom G4x, is there a patch harness available for this to make it a plug and play type of setup?   Can I also run the atom with standard the distributor, or do I need to switch over to a coil on plug type setup?     What other sensors should I look to add over the standard 4age, inlet air temp and a wideband sensor have been suggested, is there anything else I should add?

If there is not a patch harness, how difficult is it to make my own patch harness given I have no previous wiring experience?

Cheers

Paul

One of our dealers "Panic Wire" knows many of the old school toyota's well and makes adapter harnesses for many of them - even if it's not on his website it is worth asking.  I wouldnt recommend trying to make your own harness unless you are willing to invest a lot of time and money learning and possibly doing it twice.  https://panicmade.com/wiring

You can use the distributor or change to COP - IO dont know what the factory wiring is cabpable of if you decided to go the adapter harnes tyupe route.  Air temp is nesecary, MAP sensor is nesecary if you want to use an idle control solenoid, wideband is nesecary if you are going to be doing any tuning yourself, and nice to have even if it will be professionally tuned.  

Making something like this adaptor, https://www.mrpltd.co.nz/product/4age-20v-link-adapter-loom/

In simple terms, is it a case of just using the wiring pin out diagram from toyota, and matching it up to the appropriate link pins, and then adding any extras such as you mentioned above?   If done correctly it should run once a base map is installed?

11 hours ago, thorns said:

In simple terms, is it a case of just using the wiring pin out diagram from toyota, and matching it up to the appropriate link pins, and then adding any extras such as you mentioned above? 

Basically yes.  But you could also say in simple terms open heart surgury is as easy as cutting open the heart and stitching a new valve in...

How simple it is will depend on your relevant skill and knowledge level.  You will need to sorce the correct ecu header, devise a way to attach wires to the pins on the back side (usually experiment until a tight fitting crimp pin is found), attach wires, build a mould to "pot" the connections and insulate the bare pins, reverse engineer the factory pinout - things like which circuits are live all the time - which are live only with ign etc, often there will need to be small circuits added in the adapter loom to make factory relays etc function properly.  You will need the correct crimping tools for all terminals you are working with as well as an understanding on proper splicing techniques etc.  

Thanks for the responses and info!   I realise using the term 'simple' was probably a bit tongue in cheek.  

99% decided on a Link ECU now though, just need to work out if I try it myself with assistance of friends, or pay someone to do it.

Cheers

MRP used to have a patch harness for 4A-GE 16V listed in their webpage (I almost got that one, but I opted to do full wire-in instead). Maybe if you get in touch with them, they'd still be able to get you one.

Edit:
They still have the 16V patch harness (select on drop down) packaged with AtomX (they seem to have old pictures of G4+, but I think they're G4X -- better confirm with them).

https://www.mrpltd.co.nz/product/4age-link-atom-ii-g4-patch-harness/

...though I suggest you get a MonsoonX instead of AtomX. The built-in MAP sensor and additional aux in/out of the MonsoonX are well worth it.

• 4 weeks later...

Good to know the atomx can do knock detection/control as well; I did not recall that fact. 

I tried ordering a monsoonx last May 17th due to the SEMA show press promising the monsoonx having knock control, and then it kept getting delayed to the point that I finally gave up at the end of June 2020 and ordered a higher spec ecu instead for that project.  Looking over the firmware releases - it looks like the late August 2020 firmware added knock control to the G4X Atom and Monsoon.

• 1 month later...

Sorry, late to reply!

Ended up going for the Monsoon for the added features for not a lot more money.  Spoke to Barry at MRP and they are making me up a patch harness, so should be reltively plug and play fingers crossed.   A few other jobs to sort out, and then it will be a busy weekend getting the ITB setup and ECU installed.