EvoLink G4X 1-3 vs 4-8 Differences

Brendon Spain

I currently run an Evo 8 (3 plug) ECU in my Evo 3 and I was wondering what the difference is between the plugin EvoLink 1-3 and the EvoLink 4-8 and IX (3plug) in terms of functionality. I know the connectors are different and I can run any of them in my car, but I wouldn't want to use the 1-3 if it is lacking in functionality over the newer Evo versions. There seems to be a large price difference between the EvoLink 1-3 and the others, but I'm unable to see why from the specs.

The "brains" (or "top board") are identical between them, essentially being an Xtreme, but the differences (and limitations) come with what is made available by the "bottom board" (which has the car-specific connector plugs).

The most obvious differences I can think of off the top of my head is that the 1-3 has the "ECU Hold Power" circuitry hooked into Ign4, so you can't go fully sequential on ignition. There's no E-Throttle pins available (on the newer revisions of the bottom board on the 4-8 they're exposed via one of the Expansion connectors). You'll have to compare the pinouts of them to see the other minute differences, but really for me it comes down to how many inputs & outputs you're wanting.

• 3 months later...