Apple M1 (silicon) and Windows ARM USB Drivers

streetenergy

Hi to all

Dear Developers, how do you feel about new devices from Apple? When will there be driver support for these devices?

I usually use MacBook Air 2017 on i3 Intel and Parallels Desktop, but I bought  MacBook Air M1  and install Parallels Desktop ARM. I am facing the problem of USB Drivers....  Where are no ARM32-64 USB drivers for linkEcu :(  

Do you plan to release updates ? 

• 5 months later...

I have a similar issue but only with the G4x. I have managed to get all other ECU's to work using arm drivers as mentioned and other methods including virtual com ports. This has worked with all other ECU brands as well, the Link G4x seems to be the only one that I can't make work.

Parallels works perfectly with the Intel MacBook and G4x but with the M1 you have to run Windows 10 ARM or Windows 11 ARM. If Link could provide what they are using to communicate with the ECU this problem could be solved with just ARM drivers that all Windows ARM users are going to need anyway. This is the direction technology seems to be heading anyway so can't see why Link wouldn't spend some time on solving this.

So at this point all ARM based laptops can not communicate with G4x. Seeing as a lot of the long battery life track day friendly laptops are ARM based now and becoming more popular might be worth looking into.

Its not so much a Mac issue as there are no ARM drivers for Link G4x.

On 10/2/2021 at 10:38 AM, tbase said:

Can u show how to make it works please? 

CDM v2.12.32 Beta for ARM64 drivers turn off driver signing and force install the drivers so far have to reinstall drivers for every ECU you connect to as G4x seems to start at Link ECU 1 and 2 and so on when u connect each ECU, supper annoying but is what it is.

CDM v2.12.32 Beta for ARM64.zip

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/3/2021 at 10:01 PM, Auto Tech Wiring said:

CDM v2.12.32 Beta for ARM64 drivers turn off driver signing and force install the drivers so far have to reinstall drivers for every ECU you connect to as G4x seems to start at Link ECU 1 and 2 and so on when u connect each ECU, supper annoying but is what it is.

CDM v2.12.32 Beta for ARM64.zip 947.49 kB · 11 downloads

@Auto Tech Wiring have you found any new drivers that function better? 

Thanks

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Just came across this issue today with a new ARM64 MacBook Pro 14" and thought I'd have a crack at trying to build a customised driver for it before I found this thread

The latest Silicon Labs universal driver for the CP210x chips (10.1.10.103) supplies binaries for x86, x86_64 and ARM32 / ARM64

The driver bundled with PCLink appears to be the slightly older 10.1.3.2130 and only supplies x86 and x86_64 binaries as stated

I modified the 10.1.10.103 driver manifest to include the Link USB vendor/product IDs and disabled Windows driver signing and it seems to work like a charm, though I only played around with it for 5 minutes

Picture of PCLink running on Windows 11 ARM64 virtualised under MacOS Monterey 12.0.1 attached

@Adamw I know that MacOS support has specifically been ruled out, but is there any chance of the universal Silicon Labs CP210x driver version 10.1.10.103 being rolled out with a new PCLink release? 

Having the driver properly signed would be awesome and make the process painless, as well as adding support for real Windows ARM64 devices which are bound to become more prevalent in the next few years

Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 11.09.18 PM.png

8 hours ago, OzoneNZ said:

Just came across this issue today with a new ARM64 MacBook Pro 14" and thought I'd have a crack at trying to build a customised driver for it before I found this thread

The latest Silicon Labs universal driver for the CP210x chips (10.1.10.103) supplies binaries for x86, x86_64 and ARM32 / ARM64

The driver bundled with PCLink appears to be the slightly older 10.1.3.2130 and only supplies x86 and x86_64 binaries as stated

I modified the 10.1.10.103 driver manifest to include the Link USB vendor/product IDs and disabled Windows driver signing and it seems to work like a charm, though I only played around with it for 5 minutes

Picture of PCLink running on Windows 11 ARM64 virtualised under MacOS Monterey 12.0.1 attached

@Adamw I know that MacOS support has specifically been ruled out, but is there any chance of the universal Silicon Labs CP210x driver version 10.1.10.103 being rolled out with a new PCLink release? 

Having the driver properly signed would be awesome and make the process painless, as well as adding support for real Windows ARM64 devices which are bound to become more prevalent in the next few years

Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 11.09.18 PM.png

any chance you’d be willing to share that modified driver? I have an ARM M1 that i’d like to use if possible. 

Thanks 

Jon Etheredge 

9 hours ago, OzoneNZ said:

I know that MacOS support has specifically been ruled out, but is there any chance of the universal Silicon Labs CP210x driver version 10.1.10.103 being rolled out with a new PCLink release? 

For current ECU's which use the FTDI chipset we will add support when there are official arm FTDI drivers released, for older G4+ it is unlikely.   

On 11/17/2021 at 7:32 AM, Electredge said:

any chance you’d be willing to share that modified driver? I have an ARM M1 that i’d like to use if possible. 

Thanks 

Jon Etheredge 

Sure, flick me a private message - just not too keen on the liability for distributing them publicly haha

• 2 months later...