PC Link and Firmware 6.20 released

Adamw

New update is available here:  https://linkecu.com/software-support/pc-link-downloads/

Release notes:  https://www.linkecu.com/pclink/Link Engine Management PC Link G4X Updates 21042021.pdf

Important notes:

This firmware changes the sync point in some triggermodes so base timing must be checked after doing this update.  

There is a new "Slow Comms" setting added, this may help those with communication problems that are due to some laptops with USB ports that are slow to respond.  This a an ECU setting so the ecu needs the latest firmware instaled before you will have this setting available, you will find it in the main configuration menu (where you set number of cylinders and engine type etc). 

Any new issues related to this update can be reported here.  

• Adamw pinned this topic

ファームウェアが 6.20 に変更されたため、これが問題なのかどうかはわかりません。
ここで報告させていただきます。

(1) エンジン稼働中にPCを接続し、一部のデータを変更する。
2) ECU に記録せずにイグニッションをオフにします。
(3) ECUを完全に遮断した後、再度イグニッションをONにしてもLINK ECUが起動しません。

(3) ECU を完全に遮断した後、再度イグニッションを ON にしても、LINK ECU は起動しません。12V+B の主電源を取り外し、再接続すると正常に起動します。

ファームウェアアップデート前には見られなかった症状です。

PCデータログ - 2021-04-24 8;10;37 pm.llgx

同じプロセスを何度も繰り返しましたが、再現性がありました。
ログは取れましたが、イグニッションがオンにならないので役に立たないかもしれません。

9 hours ago, k fuku said:

(3) If you turn on the ignition again after shutting off the ECU completely, the LINK ECU will not start. If you disconnect the 12V+B main power supply and then reconnect it, it will start normally.

What do you mean by "the Link Ecu will not start"?  Do you mean the engine wont start or the Laptop wont connect?  What is the log showing? Is it a power down log or power up log?  

9 minutes ago, Adamw said:

What do you mean by "the Link Ecu will not start"?  Do you mean the engine wont start or the Laptop wont connect?  What is the log showing? Is it a power down log or power up log?  

(1) Even when the ignition is turned on
The ce light does not come on.

(2) The laptop does not become connected.

(3) The engine does not start even if the engine starter is turned.
(The starter runs on the factory ECU.)

No matter how many times I turn the ignition on and off
(The starter works with the factory ECU.) There was no change in the symptoms.
(The starter works with the factory ECU.

The laptop is not connected to the computer in the first place, so I can't log anything.
Can you take a video if necessary?

The log above is from when the ignition was turned on to when it was turned off.

If you change firmware back to 6.19 does it then power up reliably again?  I have been running 6.20 in one of our test cars for the last 4 weeks or so and it starts reliably (also push button start).  Also I have not seen any trouble with power off/on on the test bench over the last few weeks.  Several other users outside of Link have also been using 6.20 for several weeks with no reports of this kind of problem.  

So does it only happen for you if you make a setting change but dont store before powering off?

I'll try to see if I get the same symptoms with the firmware down later.

Yes, if I don't save the changes before turning off the power, I get the symptoms.

If you rewrite the file, save it and the problem will not appear.

On 2021/4/25 at 午前6時32分, Adamw said:

If you change firmware back to 6.19 does it then power up reliably again?  I have been running 6.20 in one of our test cars for the last 4 weeks or so and it starts reliably (also push button start).  Also I have not seen any trouble with power off/on on the test bench over the last few weeks.  Several other users outside of Link have also been using 6.20 for several weeks with no reports of this kind of problem.  

So does it only happen for you if you make a setting change but dont store before powering off?

Today, the symptoms appeared again, so I will report them.

1)Laptop connection
2) Ignition ON 
(3) Check online with PCLINK
Rename the ECU data and save it on the laptop.
(Do not write to link ecu)
(5) Turn off the ignition. 
(Confirm complete shutdown)

6) The ECU does not start up even if the ignition is turned on.
(The operation check LED does not light up.)

The symptom does not appear every time for sure.
(It happened about twice out of 10 times.)

2021年4月25日午前6時14分、Adamwは次のように述べました。

「リンクECUが起動しない」とはどういう意味ですか? エンジンが始動しない、またはラップトップが接続できないという意味ですか? ログには何が表示されますか? それは電源切断ログですか、それとも電源投入ログですか?  

わかりました

エラー

やっと動画撮影できました。

メーター内のエンジンチェックランプがCElightに変更されました。

通常、イグニッションをオンにすると点灯しますが、点灯しません。
(当然エンジンは始動しません。)

結局、データを変更・転送せずにイグニッションをOFFにすると症状が出ました。

Screenshot_20210501_122748.jpg

I Just made the update on our car and put fresh bigger injectors. No data on them in regards to the latencies. 

I wanted to do the test in switching between grouped 1 and 2 injections 

However this parameter is frozen when engine is started, while on g4+ I was able to switch from injection number on the fly. Is that wanted that we are no able anymore to change it while engine running? It was pretty handy

18 hours ago, k fuku said:

OK

error

I was finally able to shoot a video.

The engine check lamp in the meter has been changed to CElight.

Normally, it lights up when the ignition is turned on, but it does not.
(Of course, the engine does not start.)

After all, the symptom appeared when the ignition was turned off without changing and transferring the data.

Is the blue power light on on the ECU?

6 hours ago, dx4picco said:

I Just made the update on our car and put fresh bigger injectors. No data on them in regards to the latencies. 

I wanted to do the test in switching between grouped 1 and 2 injections 

However this parameter is frozen when engine is started, while on g4+ I was able to switch from injection number on the fly. Is that wanted that we are no able anymore to change it while engine running? It was pretty handy

Yeah I noticed that a while ago and asked if if can be changed.  Not sure when that will happen.  Note it is not a particularly useful method for checking deadtimes for injectors any bigger that about 500cc as when you halve the pulse width you will be going deep into the non-linear range.  

I find a better method is to adjust the lambda target up/down 5-10% and adjust deadtimes until measured lambda closely follows a target change.

Sorry, I didn't check the blue light on the main unit side.
It is linked to the CE light that I moved to the meter, so I only checked this one.
(Check engine light and skidding warning light in the photo)

The electronic throttle relay is also not responding, and I don't hear any sound when I turn on the ignition.

I'll check it next time when the symptoms appear.

• 4 weeks later...

Just upgraded to the latest firmware, as I was lazy to do the base timing check so far.

Base timing was perfect (07 STi), but I have to tell you, I got scared a lot when I hit the update firmware button and PCLink went "Not responding", instead of walking through the green status bar.

The other thing I wanted to ask (not related to this particular version, but generally to firmware updates), why is the fuel pump switching on for the duration of the upgrade? It is like the initial 3seconds priming that is done after the ignition switch is turned on.

Thanks,

Béla

1 hour ago, Rozsko said:

Base timing was perfect (07 STi), but I have to tell you, I got scared a lot when I hit the update firmware button and PCLink went "Not responding", instead of walking through the green status bar.

Yeah I had not noticed that but I do get something similar on my PC, Ill get that looked at.

1 hour ago, Rozsko said:

The other thing I wanted to ask (not related to this particular version, but generally to firmware updates), why is the fuel pump switching on for the duration of the upgrade? It is like the initial 3seconds priming that is done after the ignition switch is turned on.

All aux, ign and inj outputs are turned off during an update, the subaru fuel pump controller effectively works inverted - 0%DC = 100% flow, so when you turn the aux off the pump turns on.  

Hello Gents,

I think I ran into a little bug in the CAN setup with this firmware. Nothing serious but I guess it is good to know about it.

So in my setup I have streams defined with both normal and extended IDs.

What is happening on the main CAN setup screen is that if I click a stream with an extended ID then I click one of the streams with normal IDs, the later defaults/changes to 2047.

If I click first a stream with normal ID, then it is showing it properly, but again if I click an extended one and then back to the normal, now it is changed to 2047. (Extended IDs are not changed by this behavior)

Once the normal ID(s) is changed to 2047 and I press cancel, then it is not saved, so opening the CAN setup again will show me the original good normal IDs (if I click those first) and then the game starts over :).

If I only click among the normal IDs, they don't change.

Thanks,

Béla

• 1 month later...
On 5/1/2021 at 1:28 PM, k fuku said:

OK

error

I was finally able to shoot a video.

The engine check lamp in the meter has been changed to CElight.

Normally, it lights up when the ignition is turned on, but it does not.
(Of course, the engine does not start.)

After all, the symptom appeared when the ignition was turned off without changing and transferring the data.

Did you find a solution for this?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

Here are couple of issues I wanted to share with you. Not sure if these are actually PCLink or Windows related, but anyhow.

- The quick tune popup window is cropped, so not all the controls can be seen. (https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ale4oyMCOgLThOYMqZfor8-VKWFMbQ) Unfortunately the pop-up can't be resized.

- Sometimes (I actually wasn't able to determine what triggers this actually) when I want to save the tune, when I click the save button in the dialog pop-up, nothing happens. It acts as if I never pressed the button. PCLink is not frozen, as if I press the cancel button, the dialog pop-up disappears and the system continues to work. And then if I disconnect the ECU USB cable, PCLink suddenly displays a File saved success message.

- If I have a tune open and I connect to the ECU, there used to be message saying, the tune I have open is different from the one in the ECU and asks me if I want to copy open tune to the ECU. Now this message does not appear in about 80% of the times.

Thanks,

Béla

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry to get back to the quick tune popup window problem, but I tried that on a different install and it is the same, and the Tune Cell button never becomes active in manual mode, although maybe this is due to some setting, but I can't access the settings checkbox either due to the sizing of the window.

Did you guys experience the same?

8 hours ago, Adamw said:

Are you using the latest PC Link 6.20.67?  The quick tune form was fixed some time ago.

Thanks Adam, good catch. I was on the initial 6.20.40 released in April.

Is there a way to get notified every time a new version is available? I am subscribed to the newsletter, and I come back to the forum time to time, but I did not see any announcement for this June release.

Thanks

• 7 months later...
On 6/8/2021 at 4:28 PM, Rozsko said:

Hello Gents,

I think I ran into a little bug in the CAN setup with this firmware. Nothing serious but I guess it is good to know about it.

So in my setup I have streams defined with both normal and extended IDs.

What is happening on the main CAN setup screen is that if I click a stream with an extended ID then I click one of the streams with normal IDs, the later defaults/changes to 2047.

If I click first a stream with normal ID, then it is showing it properly, but again if I click an extended one and then back to the normal, now it is changed to 2047. (Extended IDs are not changed by this behavior)

Once the normal ID(s) is changed to 2047 and I press cancel, then it is not saved, so opening the CAN setup again will show me the original good normal IDs (if I click those first) and then the game starts over :).

If I only click among the normal IDs, they don't change.

Thanks,

Béla

Looks like this little annoying bug is still in 6.22.25