Base maps

Sonac

Hi there, I'm thinking of getting a MonsoonX for my Celica ST205 and wiring it in.

I can see that a base map for my car is available but it seems to be for a plug and play model. Will the base map still work for me?

Thanks

Yes it will be converted to suit the hardware you have when you load the map into the ecu.  You will still need to go through all the inputs and output setup tho to make sure they are set up to match how your car has been wired.

16 hours ago, koracing said:

Out of curiosity, why would you not use the plug-in instead of the Monsoon X?

More versatile. Plug and play model is using ancient hardware, 40mhz processor. The MonsoonX is much newer and far more powerful (150mhz) which is very important. When the processor is too slow you can have issues. Can't use so many features at once because of the slow processor. That's what a tuner friend told me at least, he recommended the MonsoonX over the p&p. He told me about how pretty much all haltechs have a processor which is too slow for their feature set which causes accelerator enrichment that delayed and you get lean tip ins. Obviously Link is a lot better but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I want to avoid issues like that at all costs.

The G4+ Plug-in was based on the G4+ Xtreme. The G4x plug-in is based on the G4x Xtreme. There's no differences in the underlying processors, as far as I'm aware.

With the Monsoon you get fewer features than the plugin.

However - the Plugins don't always have all the inputs and outputs available, so if you're concerned over number of I/O, the lesser wire in might be better than the plugin, at similar price points.

Having had a plugin, next time I'll be saving up for an extra month and getting a Wire-In Xtreme or higher.

1 hour ago, Sonac said:

More versatile. Plug and play model is using ancient hardware, 40mhz processor. The MonsoonX is much newer and far more powerful (150mhz) which is very important. When the processor is too slow you can have issues. Can't use so many features at once because of the slow processor. That's what a tuner friend told me at least, he recommended the MonsoonX over the p&p. He told me about how pretty much all haltechs have a processor which is too slow for their feature set which causes accelerator enrichment that delayed and you get lean tip ins. Obviously Link is a lot better but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I want to avoid issues like that at all costs.

What Confused said.  The G4X plug and play is on brand new hardware that was released to the public last year and has far more capability than the monsoon.  Monsoon has a single 34 pin connector.  The PnP top board to adapter board header has 82 pins - though not all pins are populated on every PnP adapter board.

2 minutes ago, koracing said:

What Confused said.  The G4X plug and play is on brand new hardware that was released to the public last year and has far more capability than the monsoon.  Monsoon has a single 34 pin connector.  The PnP top board to adapter board header has 82 pins - though not all pins are populated on every PnP adapter board.

I had no idea, maybe I was looking at old specs. In that case the PnP sounds like a much better option considering the price is similar. Perhaps I'll get the PnP after all, it was my original plan.

In your case the ST205X is fairly well pinned capability wise.  There are expansions on board for both CAN1 and CAN2 plus two expansion connectors.  There are 4 ignition outputs already pinned to the OEM ecu connector for whenever one decides they want to do coil per cylinder.  

<wish>I wish Link would do an updated ST185 v1 3sgte adapter board to bring it more in line with the st205, or maybe a little bit more feature wise.  I'd like to see onboard map sensors as well.</wish>

3 minutes ago, koracing said:

In your case the ST205X is fairly well pinned capability wise.  There are expansions on board for both CAN1 and CAN2 plus two expansion connectors.  There are 4 ignition outputs already pinned to the OEM ecu connector for whenever one decides they want to do coil per cylinder.  

<wish>I wish Link would do an updated ST185 v1 3sgte adapter board to bring it more in line with the st205, or maybe a little bit more feature wise.  I'd like to see onboard map sensors as well.</wish>

Sounds good to me, I likely won't use many additional inputs anyway. Maybe clutch switch for launch control and temp sensors.

I think the ST205 has low impedance injectors, not sure if there are factory resistors or not. As you seem to know quite a bit about these ecus; can the link PnP handle it or will I need a resistor pack?

On another note, Isn't the ST185 very similar in pinout anyway? A little re-pinning would make the ST205 version work no?

3 hours ago, Sonac said:

I think the ST205 has low impedance injectors, not sure if there are factory resistors or not. As you seem to know quite a bit about these ecus; can the link PnP handle it or will I need a resistor pack?

All models fitted with low imp injectors from the factory also had a ballast resistor.  If you keep stock injectors no change is needed, if you fit high imp injectors then you need to bypass the resistor.  

The ST205 and ST185 both run low impedance inejctors with a resistor pack in series that must remain if low impedance injectors are to be used.  The drivers in the Link PnP are saturation drivers as are most if not all of the rest of the G4X lineup - Peak and hold drivers are what are required to run low impedance injectors directly (current controlling injector drivers) directly and I think only the G4+ higher end models had this capability - Fury, Thunder, Xtreme.

14 hours ago, koracing said:

The ST205 and ST185 both run low impedance inejctors with a resistor pack in series that must remain if low impedance injectors are to be used.  The drivers in the Link PnP are saturation drivers as are most if not all of the rest of the G4X lineup - Peak and hold drivers are what are required to run low impedance injectors directly (current controlling injector drivers) directly and I think only the G4+ higher end models had this capability - Fury, Thunder, Xtreme.

Ah okay, so I won't need to install my own resistors. They'll be there already. Good to know

Appreciate the help/info