Weird voltage issue

Sutkale

Okay. Among the other Vipec related issues, there is a weird voltage issue going on. After a while the power has been switched on, the ECU starts to see 0 voltage or 24,5 voltage jumping around. I have measured with a multimeter from the +14 input wire and it sees a constant 12,5 voltage as it should be. What the heck could this be... :shock: ? The system cannot generate such a voltage in anyway and in reality there is 12,5 voltage in +14 voltage wire.

EDIT: A backfeed issue maybe... :roll:

I assume this happens when power is on and engine not running (since voltage is 12,5)?

I suggest you double and triple check your wiring, turn off all analog/digital inputs and auxoutputs. If u have relays connected to auxoutput remove those. '

Because if u have a relay connected to auxoutput and straight to battery + you will have a backfeed problem. Atleast when turning the power off @ the +14 terminal.

Might not solve your problem, but worth a try. Good luck ;)

I assume this happens when power is on and engine not running (since voltage is 12,5)?

I suggest you double and triple check your wiring, turn off all analog/digital inputs and auxoutputs. If u have relays connected to auxoutput remove those. '

Because if u have a relay connected to auxoutput and straight to battery + you will have a backfeed problem. Atleast when turning the power off @ the +14 terminal.

Might not solve your problem, but worth a try. Good luck ;)

Will do!

Here's a link to a screenshot from the statistics, maybe the high voltage has been a reason for such a strange numbers.. :?

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k133/ ... enshot.jpg

Yes, that looks like some MAJOR interference or some input is connected/setup wrong. I had same kind of issues when i had my trigger problems and got loads of errors and basicly everything was Fu**ed up- Its something simple, you just need to find it. How is ur Sensor grounds connected etc? trigger grounds?

Yes, that looks like some MAJOR interference or some input is connected/setup wrong. I had same kind of issues when i had my trigger problems and got loads of errors and basicly everything was Fu**ed up- Its something simple, you just need to find it. How is ur Sensor grounds connected etc? trigger grounds?

Sensor grounds are for sure connected to ECU's sensor grounds. Funny thing is that this popped up even though the car has been nearly untouched...and had no electrical issues before that.

What kinda trigger problems you had? What did you do to fix the problem?

My trigger problems werent electrical, my trigger wheel was bad/wrong type and gave occasionally faulty signal etc...and the problems occured only when engine was running/starting, power on everything was fine.

So your problem must be electrical. Can you upload your map so we can have a look at it ?

what happens when you disconnect the alternator charge lead and run the engine off just the battery or an external power source? Still get the high readings?

have you installed non-resistor type spark plugs?

Disconnect the ECU and connected the ECU directly with auxillary wires to the battery and ECU showed normal voltages. Also harness shows normal voltage from supply wire and ground wires are connected as they should be and showing 0,01 resistance. Connected the ECU back to the harness and the problem came back. I also disconnected different sensors but no influence.

Basically the problems begins after a while (app. 5-10 minutes) when the power is connected to the ECU. First 24,5volts and then to 0 volts. Great.. :evil:

ECU as powerwise has been working normally for as long as it has been installed but the problems came after a while I swapped to another engine. Whit this new engine the ECU did not have this kind of symptoms for a couple of weeks.

Have you measured the supply voltage when the problem appears? That seems like a power supply issue, something wrong with the cars electric system, fuse, relay or ignition switch. When there is a bad cnnection somewhere, it starts to heat up and voltage drops....

Have you measured the supply voltage when the problem appears? That seems like a power supply issue, something wrong with the cars electric system, fuse, relay or ignition switch. When there is a bad cnnection somewhere, it starts to heat up and voltage drops....

Supply voltage is 12v constantly when the problem appears. This is checked from the supply wire. That makes this so weird as ECU sees different voltage than there is in reality. This makes me think this is ECU based problem.

But if the ECU works if u have it powered from an other powersource, the problem must be in the cars wiring/powersupply :roll:

Did another test with an external power source (ECU disarmed from the wire harness) and the problem was there after a couple of minutes powering the ECU. Voltage oskillating between 24,5 - 6 - 0 volts. In my opinion this is ECU based problem.. :(

Do a firmware upgrade and run the map again. Might be a bug in the software.....if it doesnt work, its hardware related and non fixable :(

I've got the latest firmware installed already. :?

Vipec is supposedly made by humans, so it must be fixable. I've heard Vipec's customer service and guarantee is on high level and this will be fixed.. :)

Hi,

It sounds like you have carried out the correct testing. Either return your ECU to your dealer for them to organise testing/repair, or email us on [email protected] to organise the testing/repair directly with us.

Kind regards,

Scott

Will do. My dealer will run this on test bench. Did another test yesterday with an external powersource but this time the voltage remained as it should be. Let's see what the test bench says.

BTW, on what level the +5v outvolt source should be? My ECU shows 5.05 volts (at runtime values) and puts out a errror code "5v supply error".

Thanks!

Hi again,

Is it this fault code you are getting?

74: Analog 5V Supply Error

According to VTS Help > VX ECU Tuning Functions > ECU Fault codes It should read between about 4.9 and 5.1 volts. So 5.05 volts should not be a problem. On the ECU I have connected for testing at the moment the voltage is 4.98v.

Scott

Hi again,

Is it this fault code you are getting?

74: Analog 5V Supply Error

According to VTS Help > VX ECU Tuning Functions > ECU Fault codes It should read between about 4.9 and 5.1 volts. So 5.05 volts should not be a problem. On the ECU I have connected for testing at the moment the voltage is 4.98v.

Scott

Yes! This fault code exists while runtime values shows 5.05 volts. I am gonna get a report today from my dealer how the ECU is doing in his test bench.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Okay, ECU is not broken this time.. :lol: , but it is getting getting some voltage spikes. I suppose this is due to generator.

When the engine is cold, the generator voltage level jumps (that what ECU sees) between 13.92 and 14.02 volts rapidly. After a some time and things gets hotter the voltage gets steady, setting to 13.60 v level. While the voltages jumps around, ECU sees very short bursts of 24.5 v and internal baro begins to alter as well causing some occasional lean conditions while driving. Once the engine reaches its normal operating temperature, generator output voltage gets steady and ECU calms down and everything works normally.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Should I pay attention to generator or to be more concerned from the ECU?

EDIT: The described phenomen is more common if the car is not driven for a while.