How much can a Link G4 be upgraded.

Celica GTE

Hey guys, I haven't been on here in some time but I am at a crossroads and really need some solid advice.  I bought a Link G4 ECU about 2 years ago for my build.  Since then my build remained stagnant (running on stock ECU) and now I want to go a different direction.  When I bought my ECU I bought plug in for a GEN 2(ST 205) 3SGTE.  Now I want to go to a GEN 5 3SGTE build.  Is there a way to upgrade the ECU.  It has never been used and all sensors are brand new.  Or will I have to with a completely new ECU?  Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can provide.  

Are you sure its a G4 and not a G4+?  You say you bought it 2 years ago but we stopped making the G4 in 2013 so it would have already been well obsolete when you bought it in that case.  If purchased new 2 Years ago it should have been a G4+.

Having said that, it will still run the engine well, the main things missing compared to the newer ecus would be configurable CAN bus (can still run a dash etc tho), knock control, proper flex fuel support, more tables, some of the increased flexability in IO and a few inputs and outputs.

Apart from updating to the latest firmware, there is no other hardware updates that can be performed.

Adamw, you are correct.  It is a G4+ because it was 2 years ago.  So I will read up on this but can you educate me on the configurable CAN bus?  Are you saying all the things you mentioned can be updated to the latest firmware?  I did want to add a dash too.  I believe I have all the I/O I need, fingers crossed.  Can a serial number possibly tell to the extent of the upgraded firmware?  Thanks for your response Adub!

To go to a Gen5 engine you could either rewire your original harness to use the gen5 crank and cam sensors, as well as the coil per cylinder wiring added into or married into your V2 3sgte harness and retain the pinout that would allow the Gen2/3 st205+ ecu to work.  Alternatively you could adapt from the gen5 pinout to the gen2/3 pinout with some type of patch harness while retaining the st205 ecu as is.  The nice thing with the st205 version plug in is that there are the first 4 ignition outputs already on the OEM ecu header so you have outputs already there to wire to for a coil on plug setup.  I have a customer with a G4x on a gen5 I have been remote tuning recently and it's working quite well.

Good stuff Kris.  I will need a HG from you and my tuner did mention an option you have.  I will talk to my tuner some more but I will be  reaching out to you.  Thanks for these suggestions.

Thanks,

Rod