Multiple dead time tables on a Rotary with staged Injectors

kaptainballistik

Its a Dirty Rotary question...

Is it possible on a 4x to run more than 2 Dead time tables? I'm looking at running a set of 150cc injectors on the inner std position for when the car is puttering around.  

The other 2 pairs are 550cc and 880cc Denso's (actually out of a 13G.. really good spray pattern!) over 3-4000rpm they are fine but at lower rpm.. Lets say its eye watering :D. Still drives dead smooth for a Monster JPort in traffic, But the 300KM per tank is kinda hard on the wallet these days.... (Yeah yeah, I know, that's actually really good). Its all old school but it works when it counts.

Or do you just run the same Dead time for the Bigger injectors and live with it? Being an older car it gets some... non-stable voltages out of the monster Alternator it has, especially when you flick the spotlights!  

(RX2 12A Rally car with a 9800RPM rev limit, 1000w of headlights, Staged Quad throttle body and a 6 speed.... and FULL road rego) :D

Fitting smaller injectors is not going to make the engine more economical.  You still need to add the same amount of fuel relative to the amount of air that is flowing.

The problem with a J port is that neither the intake port and exhaust port ever close, so at low RPM where there is little gas inertia, there is a significant overlap period where the intake charge flows straight out the exhaust port with none of it being used for combustion.   I only played with a couple of J port cars 20 years ago with carburetors so dont have any EFI experience with those, but I have done a couple of PP rally cars with injection -  In those the injector timing makes a massive difference to BSFC (and drivability).  

AH, But if you run a set of 150 CC Camry injectors they don't spray, They give more a fog which means you can remove the pesky Spray plates and have a nice clean idle!

Yes, a Rotor with a clean idle!

Worked pretty well on my original 2 throat "Webber" style setup with the dirty big Motorsport injectors over the throttle plates,  But in that case it spread the  top injector flow across both intake runners.

Yes, they are a dark art..... And Exhaust port design is really critical to get midrange (The Engine builder and I went through 12 Test motors to get it right...)

• 11 months later...

Reviving the old thread to Limit spam..

For staging 3 injector pairs, Can the Link control 3 sets of Independently staged injectors? I'm not concerned about the Third set's dead times, They only come into play at significant throttle and are fairly old school 13G units.

As noted above, the "idle set" will be switched off by 2500 RPM, They are purely for puttering about and "Because I can " 

3 minutes ago, kaptainballistik said:

For staging 3 injector pairs, Can the Link control 3 sets of Independently staged injectors? I'm not concerned about the Third set's dead times, They only come into play at significant throttle and are fairly old school 13G units.

G4X doesn't support tertiary injectors at the moment but it is on the list.

Well, Ill stick to 2x injectors then and Go 3x when you have it sorted :) 

And another (possibly)  silly question... Is the Link 4x able to map to 10k RPM? and is there any idiosyncrasies on the trigger filters  I will need to be aware of? The cars current ECU maps stop at 8000 RPM and then Fudges the rest...  

I'm Hoping to use direct fire with NO wasted spark to attempt to limit electrode wear.

(Current ECU is powered by a miniature Dinosaur...... Well, It was cutting edge 27 years ago! )

2 minutes ago, kaptainballistik said:

And another (possibly)  silly question... Is the Link 4x able to map to 10k RPM? and is there any idiosyncrasies on the trigger filters  I will need to be aware of? The cars current ECU maps stop at 8000 RPM and then Fudges the rest...  

I don't see anything in the software that would stop you from revving that high most engine speed related settings top out at 20,000rpm.

30 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I don't see anything in the software that would stop you from revving that high most engine speed related settings top out at 20,000rpm.

Awesome!

I'll have a discussion with the Tuner if I will need any extra power filtering as the car is Extremely electrically noisy (In part to being a RX2 and the whopping great big Alternator..) , Is there anything suggested In that situation? 

Or its not really an issue on a Link?

8 minutes ago, kaptainballistik said:

'll have a discussion with the Tuner if I will need any extra power filtering as the car is Extremely electrically noisy (In part to being a RX2 and the whopping great big Alternator..) , Is there anything suggested In that situation? 

Or its not really an issue on a Link?

That's probably an @Adamw question as none of my personal cars rev that high and I haven't played with one that does.

Alrightythen... 

Final Question.. (famous last words..) Is using a Two trigger style ignition (I.E... FD witch has the home trigger) or a single trigger (like a RX8 or Full Function engineering unit.) better for use with the LINK with a situation of dealing with the associated detrus you get in a rallycar.

You know.. Dirt, water, Oil, Grass.. the usual things you SHOULDN"T HAVE!

Besides the RX8 unit having more teeth, So it should have better resolution... But I could also add home trigger on the flywheel if its any use...