SR20DET S13 coil packs hot

John510

Hi just wondering what would make the ignition pulse wire on coil packs 2 and 4 have constant power after installing a linkg4+.   I have seen the fault warning at back of the instructions and have set the jump pins to suit but no change..  so if I turn ignition to on 2 and 4 coil pack get very hot..  im stumped hope you can help

Cheers 

20210524_234752.jpg

20210524_234757.jpg

20210524_234813.jpg

Can you trace back with a multimeter (or possibly can just tell from colours), which ECU pins the coil # 4 and Coil #2 trigger wires go to.  

Can you also attach a pic of your current jumper positions.

I have this picture of the jump pins.  I moved the top pins because of the coils getting hot after I read the known problem section at back of instructions.   So they get hot like this in picture and also they are all facing the same way.    I will have to gather more info for you when I get home from work,  cheers 

Screenshot_20210526-110902_Gallery.jpg

Ok I will put them back the way they were..  just letting you know that the coil packs 2 and 4 got hot with the jump pins both ways..  I have a picture of the ecu plug.  Not sure if thats what you needed to see or not hope it helps

Cheers 

20210527_194616.jpg

Ok I will put them back the way they were..  just letting you know that the coil packs 2 and 4 got hot with the jump pins both ways..  I have a picture of the ecu plug.  Not sure if thats what you needed to see or not hope it helps

Cheers 

I will try to figure out what pins send the signal to those two coils..  im needing to go buy a multi metre I think.  Hopefully I can find the correct pins and get back to you with some info don't know if it helps but it was working OK with the J4 nistune ecu pinout  the signal wires should be on the pinout picture 

What you need to confirm is which pin at the ecu the signal wire on coil 2 & 4 goes to.  The signal wire is the left hand one on the coil, blue in one of your photos above.   You may be able to tell if the wire colour is the same at both ends, but if not you will have to test with a continuity test on a multimeter.

Coil two can be connected to pin 2 or 3 depending on year, coil 4 can be pin 25 or 9.

So not sure how or why but it's only coil pack 4 now that has constant power to the signal wire when ignition is on.  I have confirmed it to be pin 25 R/L ..  im using spitfire coils too not sure if that changes things..  so do I need to move pin 25 ??

Pin 25 is definitely supposed to be coil 4 signal but ecu seems to put permanent power to it when ignition is on. Checked pin 9 there is a green with red stripe wire coming from it but has no earth or power with ignition on or off.  Should I try using that as the signal. ?

3 hours ago, Adamw said:

So if coil 4 is on pin 25, your jumpers should be set to the 94-02 configuration.  

UuCQNnF.png

Ok so I put all the jumpers to the 94-02 setting and it changed now only coil 2 has permanent power to signal wire. Ignition signal 2 is pin 3 R/Y wire.   Pin two is tachometer signal output.   Can I possibly try the tachometer wire for a signal pulse without risking the ecu??

20210602_230025.jpg

So have you followed the signal wire from coil 2 back to the ecu to confirm it is actually connected to pin 3?  Pin 3 will not be at 12V with jumpers in 94-02 position so it suggests it is connected to the wrong pin.

So I can't make continuity through ignitor chip or coil balast.   I can get it from chip to ecu .  Chip to coil balast.   Balast to coil plug.  Fairly sure I have spent 2.5k to ruin my car thanks for your time but it's not something I can fix through tex ..   seems fitting though this build has been a nightmare from the start.  Anyone out there wanting a ecu for a s13 drop me a line

So in the diagram below, have you confirmed you have continuity from Ecu pin 3 to ignitor pin 4 (marked in pink) and you also have continuity from Ignitor pin 7 to coil #2 pin 3 (marked in green)?

If so, with key on, engine off, what voltage do you have at ignitor pin 4 & ignitor pin 7?

twUc6yx.png

Are you running s15(these are internal ignitor) coils in a s13 chassis? It looks like a Splitfire kit. 

You can bypass the factory ignitor(the one on the inner fender) and the Splitfire box and wire the coils directly to the ecu outputs with nothing in between. 

• 10 months later...