How to calibrate the temp sensor

boogie lew

Hi, 

I just bought link water temp sensor to install as extra water temp for monitoring. Out of antemp so i'm going to install the sensor to anvolt with a pull up resistor. 

Is there any calibration table so that i can calibrate it.

attach here the water sensor i bought

thanks 

link water temp sensor.jpeg

i'm going to install this sensor in my link ecu hc96 using expansion connector. 
temp 3 for oil temp ( in PC LINK sensor type i choose STD Bosch NTC correct?)
VOLT 7 for oil press ( in PC LINK Calibration i choose 1000 kpa (150PSI) TI sensor correct? )

6 hours ago, boogie lew said:

temp 3 for oil temp ( in PC LINK sensor type i choose STD Bosch NTC correct?)
VOLT 7 for oil press ( in PC LINK Calibration i choose 1000 kpa (150PSI) TI sensor correct? )

Correct.

Also, set your windows display scaling to 100% will stop that weird menu ghosting you have at the top of your screen.

• 1 year later...
On 5/27/2021 at 12:20 AM, Adamw said:

Use 1Kohm pull up and Cal table 1, 2 or 3 set up like below.

u4fJojk.png

Hi @Adamw Just wanted to check, these values are in Ohms, right? I've bought a NTC1-8 because it was the only option I could find with a DTM connector on it and need to fill in the calibration table in my datalogger (MoTeC ADL3) so I just wanted to check to make sure I fill in the correct values. The logger also has a 1KOhm pullup on its temp inputs, so I expect it should work the same/require the same calibration values.

And these sensors are all calibrated out of the factory? What is their expected accuracy/deviation?

Yes the values in that table are in ohms.  These sensors use the common GM/Delphi/Delco calibration, pretty sure if you hit "load" in the ADL calibration window you will find a delco or delphi temp sensor calibration in there (air or fluid temp use same cal). 

11 hours ago, ihaveaquestion said:

And these sensors are all calibrated out of the factory? What is their expected accuracy/deviation?

The manufacturer doesnt quote any specifics for this.  But all we have tested have been close batch to batch and match the quoted curve well.  Since the manufacturing methods for the NTC ceramics is pretty much the same for everyone, NTC's in general arent great, but from my experience I would say they fit within a similar accuracy and tolerance to the bosch specs which is +/-1.5°C at 25°C and +/-3.5°C @ 100°C.  Below zero they are much more variable.  

24 minutes ago, Adamw said:

Yes the values in that table are in ohms.  These sensors use the common GM/Delphi/Delco calibration, pretty sure if you hit "load" in the ADL calibration window you will find a delco or delphi temp sensor calibration in there (air or fluid temp use same cal). 

The manufacturer doesnt quote any specifics for this.  But all we have tested have been close batch to batch and match the quoted curve well.  Since the manufacturing methods for the NTC ceramics is pretty much the same for everyone, NTC's in general arent great, but from my experience I would say they fit within a similar accuracy and tolerance to the bosch specs which is +/-1.5°C at 25°C and +/-3.5°C @ 100°C.  Below zero they are much more variable.  

Perfect, all clear now.
Thanks for the clarifications, very helpful!

23 hours ago, Adamw said:

Figured I'd follow-up on this, checked the included calibrations and there was indeed one for Delco. It's similar, but doesn't match 100%, not really sure where the difference is coming from, theoretically given the same pullup resistor value is used the values should be the same. Might be the tolerances that you mentioned I guess?

Screenshot from 2022-06-30 21-53-13.png

Near enough.  A couple of examples, the 3523ohm @ 20deg Vs 3511omh in the link cal would result in about a 0.1°C difference.  The 667ohm @60° Vs 660 would result in about 0.2°C difference.  For a sensor with a tolerance of +/-1.5 it is close enough.  

6 hours ago, Adamw said:

Near enough.  A couple of examples, the 3523ohm @ 20deg Vs 3511omh in the link cal would result in about a 0.1°C difference.  The 667ohm @60° Vs 660 would result in about 0.2°C difference.  For a sensor with a tolerance of +/-1.5 it is close enough.  

That makes sense. Thanks again for the quick reply/help, really appreciated!