CAN LAMBDA NOT FOUND

ALPerf

Hi 

can some one help, just installed a extreme x ecu and can lambda, i have wired up as per manual, i have the can lambda module earthed back at battery and direct power with fused relay power side is ok, ive used can 1 in the plug below tuning port for can H/L these are in pin 3 H pin 4 L ive used a piece of link trigger wire for can bus will this be spiralled enough for can bus? it runs no where near other wiring, after following setup can module not found ive gone through the steps 20 times and no talky!! please help many thanks Adam 

There is not really much to prevent it from being found except for incorrect wiring or incorrect set up.  Attach your tune and some photos of the wiring.  The most common mistake I see is the pinout inside the back of the CANF, so include a photo with the back cover of that off.

Wiring looks ok in those pics and set up is correct in PC Link.  But you have transmit errors showing on CAN 1 so that suggests there is no comms with the lambda at all. 

Since both your CAN wires and both power wires are the same colour we cant tell if polarity of either is correct.  I would start by back probing the 12V/gnd wires on the CAN lambda side of the DTM using paperclips or similar to confirm there is 12V getting through and it is correct polarity.  If that looks ok you could try swapping CAN H/L although your reported voltage suggest they are ok.  

You could also try changing bit rate to 250 & 500K to rule out that.    

• 11 months later...

Hey Adam, 

I figured I would piggy backoff this thread as I am having the same issue. 

I am set up using CAN 2 instead of CAN 1, using the appropriate set up configuration with the appropriate wiring. I am still getting CAN 2 errors and no device found.

I have measured resistance at the termination (lambda end) and see 60 ohms so I know my termination is correct. However I am getting 2.4v at both HIGH and LOW com lines. I am reading 12V when switched on at power, and getting continuity at GND. 

Also, I have checked with all bit rates, same results. Would running on CAN 2 cause an issue?

20220429_022953.jpg

20220429_022558.jpg

CAN Lambda.pclx

The transmit errors on CAN 2 suggest there is no comms.  Can you give us a pic of the connection to the ecu.

That 4 pin plug is a bit of an odd one that Im not familiar with - are you sure the terminals are pushed all the way home and locked in?  Is the sensor getting warm with Ign on?

9 minutes ago, Adamw said:

The transmit errors on CAN 2 suggest there is no comms.  Can you give us a pic of the connection to the ecu.

That 4 pin plug is a bit of an odd one that Im not familiar with - are you sure the terminals are pushed all the way home and locked in?  Is the sensor getting warm with Ign on?

The connectors are sumitomo and yazaki connectors. 

I am getting HIGH LOW readings at both ends of the connectors of 2.4V there is something coming out of the ECU. And there is definitely a connection. Also, I think with me having a 120ohm resistor at the lambda end and reading 60 ohms would say I have a full CAN connection to the ECU. (The other resistor at the ECU being included in the reading)

When you say connection at the ECU do you mean inside the ECU at the 5p JST connectors? If so, I'll have to get that to you at a later time. It's 330am here so I'll start again tomorrow. 

Also, the sensor is getting warm when IGN on yes. 

So I have an addendum. I put retested today the CAN comm lines and there is a differential voltage between the two now.

L=~2v and H=~3v

Additionally the CAN errors are all gone. When my lambda connector is disconnected I get the CAN errors (obviously) but as soon as I connect them back errors go away and the error count down drops to 0. However, it still cant find the device. I have tried every bit rate as well. I even swapped to CAN 1 and the same issue exists. In the same way. 

I have done a continuity check from the lambda connector to the JST connector, and every point in betweem. I show to have good continuity on both comm lines. Every thing I can physically test or diagnose (aside from a logic analyzer) shows it should be able to find the device. Any thoughts?

Images are of the inside the ECU. I am also going to attach a link to show the error counter when connected.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n09AYsV18iwjpdQmVgr6-sgYcf-SyJfy/view?usp=sharing

20220429_135213.jpg

20220429_135216.jpg

CAN Lambda p2.pclx