Direct replacement ECU for the Vi-pec V88 to a new Link ECU

Reemen

Posting this for a friend of mine:

Hi!

I have a Vi-pec V88 standalone ECU running in my supra now. The Vi-pec V88 I have should be in a museum, it`s quite outdated and I can`t get the BTI gauge working with can-h.

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a Link ECU to recommend that fits directely as a replacement for the Vi-pec V88 standalone ECU? (Same wireing and the 2 connector plugs in the back).

And does anybody know if the map that is stored on the vi-pec now can be directely transferred over to the link ECU system or does it need a new map/tune?

Or is there any way possible to get the can-h to work with this Vi-pec V88? I get an error message saying my ECU is an older version of 10000 and needs to be modified.

Best regards.

Daniel Mikalsen
Norway

Posted this in the wrong forum I see. This is as the title says a V series not an I series ecu

The XtremeX ECU has exactly the same pinout, the StormX has a very similar pinout (just missing a couple of inputs).

The tune will have to be started from scratch, it cant be loaded into a new G4X.  However, quite a bit of it can be manually copied accross to give you a pretty close starting point.  Several features like ide control have changed so drastically they will need to be tuned from scratch.  

The early V88's need a small hardware mod to enable the CAN bus, this is a free service if you return the ECU to NZ or if you know someone locally that is experienced with SMD soldering I can give you instructions to do it yourself.

9 hours ago, Adamw said:

The XtremeX ECU has exactly the same pinout, the StormX has a very similar pinout (just missing a couple of inputs).

The tune will have to be started from scratch, it cant be loaded into a new G4X.  However, quite a bit of it can be manually copied accross to give you a pretty close starting point.  Several features like ide control have changed so drastically they will need to be tuned from scratch.  

The early V88's need a small hardware mod to enable the CAN bus, this is a free service if you return the ECU to NZ or if you know someone locally that is experienced with SMD soldering I can give you instructions to do it yourself.

Thank you for the great answer!
I was looking at the FuryX, it looks like it has the same pinouts as well? Thats the better version am i right?

If you can send me the instructions as well that would be great :)

7 hours ago, Reemen said:

Thank you for the great answer!
I was looking at the FuryX, it looks like it has the same pinouts as well? Thats the better version am i right?

If you can send me the instructions as well that would be great :)

@Adamw

The Fury pinout is similar, but because it has a wideband controller built in it has 5 of the pins on the B connector dedicated to the Wideband.  Compared to the V88 the Fury doesnt have AN Volt 10 & 11 and Ign 7 & 8.  So yes it is definately a good option especially if you want to have a good quality internal wideband, but you will need to change some wiring and run 6 new wires to the wideband location.

8 hours ago, Adamw said:

The Fury pinout is similar, but because it has a wideband controller built in it has 5 of the pins on the B connector dedicated to the Wideband.  Compared to the V88 the Fury doesnt have AN Volt 10 & 11 and Ign 7 & 8.  So yes it is definately a good option especially if you want to have a good quality internal wideband, but you will need to change some wiring and run 6 new wires to the wideband location.

Ok, thank you for this information.

Can you please send the instructions on how to enable the CAN bus on the V88? I have a experienced SMD soldering guy locally here in Norway. This will be much appreciated.

@Adamw