1996 FD3S RX7 AC Request problem, Link G4+ plugin

Jaivus

Hello there,

I have a problem where the A/C only works on fan speed 1. On fan speed 2, 3 and 4 I believe the a/c clutch does not turn on and it only blows warm air on a hot day. I noticed that the A/C Request only activates on the first speed. Since the ECU software does not let you set a voltage activation threshold does anybody know the voltage required to activate the A/C Request?

For background I had the system recharged recently, maybe a month ago and I had taken the car to check out the wiring and switches on the console and everything seems to work fine from what I was told. 

I think it's safe to assume that I have some issue getting a proper signal to/from the ECU as the a/c had worked with the stock ECU in place.

Please let me know if you have any insight into this problem

Thanks!

I have definitely seen this before on an FD.  On the odd one the user has had to add a diode inline to drop the voltage a bit.  Can you tell us the voltage on the AC request pin in the 4 fan speeds.  Should be pin 4V if its a S7/8 ecu.  You can back probe with something like a pin or paper clip into the wire side of the connector.

Ok, that is a little higher than the AC circuit on that ECU was designed for.  We have 2 diodes in series on that pin before it goes to the DI, so they will reduce those reported voltages by about 1.4V.  So in fan speed 3 there will still be about 1.65V getting through to the DI.  The voltage on the DI needs to drop below about 1.0V to activate the DI.

So the quickest solution would be to add another 2 diodes inline into that AC request wire.   Something common like 1n4148, with the stripe pointing towards the ECU.

oClJunr.png

• 4 months later...
On 6/20/2021 at 2:00 PM, Adamw said:

Ok, that is a little higher than the AC circuit on that ECU was designed for.  We have 2 diodes in series on that pin before it goes to the DI, so they will reduce those reported voltages by about 1.4V.  So in fan speed 3 there will still be about 1.65V getting through to the DI.  The voltage on the DI needs to drop below about 1.0V to activate the DI.

So the quickest solution would be to add another 2 diodes inline into that AC request wire.   Something common like 1n4148, with the stripe pointing towards the ECU.

oClJunr.png

i have this same issue on a s6 ecu should i do the same ? i see the ac request turning on for a second and going back off