Denis's Subaru Impreza GC8

DenisAlmos

Hi all,

I'm Denis, 26 from France. I own a Subaru Impreza GT turbo from 2000. It's actually the European name of the WRX version 6. I use the car to go to work and drive around the French Alps.

The engine is based on the stock EJ205 non AVCS with STI rods, Wossner forged pistons and 1.6mm thick head gasket. Only running E85 as its way cheaper than petrol.

My first mapping on the G4X has been done by a professional engine builder but when I looked what he did, I just started again from scratch. I paid the courses at HP academy and retuned it.

I was often running the stock injectors to 100% DC so I installed some fresh ID1050X, RCM fuel rails and an IAT senor in the manifold (no IAT from factory).

As newbie, I create this post because I thought I fund the good mapping (not perfect but good) and I realized today it’s not reliable. I’m living at 250m of altitude but went today in the Alps and drove in a pass at 2600m altitude, my lambda values where too lean like idling at 1.17… I’m missing something but I don’t know what.

Could someone have a look and tell me what’s wrong? I’m thinking to the IAT fuel trim because it was much warmer in town then in the mountains but it also could be the way I tuned the fuel that is not compatible with high elevation changes.

There is my last tune file and the log that is problematic. Feel free to have a look and give me your feel back: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1HIe96LzhT5YLIDj34ctSm2K2LCMA5Zbt?usp=sharing

Hi there,

your fuel table looks not good.

put MGP on your fuel table axis instead of MAP.

turn off IAT compensation and make a smoother fuel table more representative of the egine.

the boost control seems like  mess. keep it open loop until the rest is setup correctly. zero out the duty tables for the wastegates

@dx4picco I just noticed that you probably looked at the VE table 1 and I was actually using the VE 2 in the log.

The VE 1 is the result of mixture map correction, I don't know why but the correction from the mixture map always does some weird shapes. My filters are like follow:

- minimum samples: 20

- active area: 50%

- ECT>80°C

- Accel enrichment<0.1

- TPS<25%/s

- MAP<40kpa/s

- engine speed<2000rpm/s

Did I something wrong for it not to drive me to a correct VE?

I just remember the last time I went to the mountains; it was for charismas and I already had some issues with idle. This summer I’m experiencing it again.

I think idle bypass should depend on temperature, altitude or even humidity but we are missing something on a 2D idle base position table.

Has anyone ever seen idle position changing in function of exterior conditions? If yes, which one?

Thanks @dx4picco

I switched to MGP and I'm now turning it

I went down from the mountains to the south of the France and it working fine except for the idle. My lambda at idle was at 0.99 on the mountains and now at sea level it's around 1.07

I turned on CLL as I had to do a 4h trip

• 1 month later...

To give you some news, after this trip I kept tuning the fuel map from the CLL LTT. It helped a lot. Now my lambda are close from my target even when I go on the mountains so think you very much guys!

I’m currently using the CLL boost control and I can feel a nonlinear power and I see oscillations in the boost. I’ll try some new values for CLL PID.

I ordered an ethanol content sensor and after its installation I’m think about give the all tuning a professional tuner because I don’t want to play with petrol and detonations.

You can have a look at my last tune and log: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10gU2CzD30i1uMA5DhZPnyBO47iVWnff8?usp=sharing

• 2 weeks later...

The last weekend I had the pleasure to be driving on a closed section of road. It was in Pipay neer Grenoble and the event was “grip N drift” for the Slide Drift Team: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0ktRgtyDbYE2dH5NYmhkQQ

I’ll post some onboard videos but I’m still working on DashWare to display the ECU logs as Gauges. If anyone have an imports profile for our Link G4X I’ll appreciate not to do it all by my sell.

Any way the car worked properly; I was so happy!

I’m unfortunately having cuts because my fuel pump doesn’t have fuel after some corners. I can use only ¼ of the tank without problems… that’s not enough to go for the nearest E85 gas station to Pipay…

• 4 months later...

I've updated my boost target so I think I should update my WG duty. On this purpose I want to extract for my previous logs a table of WG duty in function of RPM and MGP with the condition that it correspond to my new target (+/-5kPa).

How can I do that?

Do you have any trick?

https://imgur.com/a/LW0ILNw

You can set up an XY plot to show what average DC was required to achieve a certain MAP in previous logs, but not sure how useful that will be.  It will have quite a lot of irrelevant data from for example transitioning from stage 1 spool DC etc.  You would probably be better off to manually looking at logs and picking areas where boost is stable in stage 2 or 3 etc. 

Ok so I understood I can’t extract a map but I can extract a curve at each MAP.

There are still 2 problems to do this:

1.       I can’t add a filter to the XY plot as it’s possible for the Mixture table

2.       I didn’t logged the boost error but I have the boost target, MAP and MGP

How can I do a math operation on logged data? Like MAP-boost target