Z32 TT No Start & 24+1 trigger upgrade

sns00

Hello everyone,

I have a G4X PnP for a Z32 TT M/T, car wont start after I replaced the trigger for a 24+1 with a hall sensor. I've logged what I could, since the engine will not run, just cranks forever, never a start; I dont think is spraying fuel either.

I've reloaded and configured the base maps about 5 times, no luck; checked my trigger wiring and other related wiring, checked the configuration for the triggers, nothing. Then I stumbled upon the ECU Hold Power, Start Signal, Ignition Switch and Chassis Power Relay functions.

Found ECU Hold Power=OFF; Start Signal=ACTIVE [I had to reload the map twice for that to happen]; Ignition Switch=ALWAYS ON & Chassis Power Relay=OFF. As I read the  help file, ECU Hold Power has to be setup with a Virtual AUX, IGN or INJ output; is there any specific output it needs to be mated to or whatever is available? The engine started more than once when I had the old CAS.

As for the trigger kit, I'm not sure about the settings I found; Specialty Z and Autodream have different settings for the same trigger kit?!?! The trigger offset and sensor settings dont match the instructions, either.

Im not sure how it happened, I've never tried to wire in my ECU using the Hold Power feature and I deleted the IACV...still have the Air Regulator.

Q1: Could the settings above be the culprit of a no start?

Q2: Is there tried and true settings to get the 24+1 Cam trigger kit working?

Any help will be appreciated. Regards from Pennsylvania, USA.

Base is @ 15 BTDC; trigger offset registered at 183 BTDC, I'll check it again to make sure. Stock CAS was running with 259 BTDC before the timing belt service.

One set of instructions calls for 20 BTDC trigger offset. The other instructions have 250-310 BTDC offset.

Checked adjustment in FPR and tested my injectors, all six have 11.3-11.6 ohms, side feed Jecs 370cc.

FYI, the issue was present before the timing belt service; it had a coolant leak.

It definately doesnt look happy about something related to the trigger.  When cranking the RPM is bouncing between 160 and zero and there is no dwell being commanded.  This would suggest the ECU cannot achieve sync.  

Can you do a triggerscope while cranking.

Did a bunch of tests today ruling out BS. When I reversed the signal wires the trigger was not active at all, no spark.

When I setup trigger to crank, 12 tooth, the timing light came up once. I was playing around with the settings on trigger 2 when did not showed up.

Voltage at sensor is 12.48 vdc; for the ground side, there was 115 ohms (?!?) Im not sure but that seems kind of high...

Adamw: I'll log it and send it to you.

Z32TT_20Jul2021_NOSTART_revCASsignal.llgx

On 7/20/2021 at 6:50 PM, Adamw said:

It definately doesnt look happy about something related to the trigger.  When cranking the RPM is bouncing between 160 and zero and there is no dwell being commanded.  This would suggest the ECU cannot achieve sync.  

Can you do a triggerscope while cranking.

Z32TT_22Jul2021_NOSTART_scope1.llgx Z32TT_22Jul2021_NOSTART_scope2.llgx

Yesterday repaired the sensor ground, the wire was broken inside. Whenever I tested this wire on the CAS, some times was low resistance some times high, when I moved the loom to test the harness itself, it was good. (wire gremlins) Now the problem area is eliminated, everything is soldered.

Verified signal wires @ 0 ohm; verified power to sensor @ 12.48 vdc, verified ground @ 0 ohm. Also tried different gaps for the sensor, 1/4 turn, 1/2 turn.

I thought the ground wire repair would do it, but not; the timing light does not light up now, used the ignition test feature and my spark tester lights and the strobe lights up. 

On 7/23/2021 at 7:33 PM, Adamw said:

Trigger 1 & 2 are swapped.  You have the 24T signal on trig 2 and the single tooth on trig 1.  Swap the trig 1/2 wires at the CAS plug and it should be happier.

Yes, it did start.

Thank you very much Adamw.