Multiple Questions 2jz gte, High Fuel table, Ignition Timing and Knock sensors queries

All the gear no idea

Hi Guys,

Just some info on what im running.

Link Thunder ECU, 99 oct pump gas.

Bosch 4.9 Wideband

Engine is a 2jz gte, running ign1a Coils, ID1050x injectors, stock toyota knock sensors.

All sensors are fairly new and less than 150 miles on them and less than 2 hours drive time.

So my fuel table values seem very high and are at nearly 150 for WOT pulls.

My wideband seems to also max out after a WOT at 148 for a period of a couple of seconds.

I have borrowed a map off another member off here for igniton timing, and pulled 6 degrees across the board on the timing. The knock sensors are still being triggered. Does this look like background noise or am i suffering with knock. (running 8 psi boost, 10.5 AFR and 7 degrees of timing).

If you dont mind casting your eye over a log i have done and also the Map file it would be greatly apprechiated.

This is the first time ever doing any of this so please tell me anything i am missing as im always up for learning.

6 hours ago, All the gear no idea said:

So my fuel table values seem very high and are at nearly 150 for WOT pulls.

Most of your basic set up looks ok.  I would change the fuel system type to "FP sensor" since you have one, but your fuel pressure looks about right so that is not going to solve the high VE numbers.  

Accel enrichment is turned off so I would suggest copying the values out of our supra base map for that.  

I dont really see an obvious reason for the high VE numbers.  I have had a user with ID1700X injectors before that had really high VE numbers at idle due to the deadtimes not being correct with the Link drivers, but since your VE numbers are high at both idle and higher loads that would be less likely related to deadtime and something that is more linear with fuel flow.

1. How sure are you the injectors are ID1050X's - did you by new?
  2. Is the MAP sensor definately a Link 4 bar? 
  3. Is the fuel pressure sensor definately a 150psi sensor?

6 hours ago, All the gear no idea said:

I have borrowed a map off another member off here for igniton timing, and pulled 6 degrees across the board on the timing. The knock sensors are still being triggered. Does this look like background noise or am i suffering with knock. (running 8 psi boost, 10.5 AFR and 7 degrees of timing).

The knock sensors basically just show "noise level", you need to program the knock threshold so that the ecu knows what is normal noise and what is considered knock.  Usually this would be done after tuning when you have an ignition table that you know is not knocking.  Your threshold is currently set to 1000 so it is never going to consider anything knock.  Your knock retard limit is set to zero so it cant retard.  The 2J knock sensors usually dont work well with aftermarket ECU's so probably best to replace that with a Bosch flat response sensor before messing with knock control.

Hi Adam, 

Thanks for the quick reply.

The Injectors were bought brand new and were all sealed in individual packets so i can only assume they are genuine.

The link MAP 4 bar sensor i bought brand new too so i am happy that is correct. It ties in right with my 8psi wastegate spring which i tested on the bench.

The Fuel pressure sensor is a bosch multi sensor. It does fuel temp and pressure 0261230340. And im pretty sure its 1000kpa sensor (0-145 psi) but its down as 150psi.

I will add the accel enrichment off the supralink file and also add the fuel related to the fuel pressure. Ill also order some bosch wideband knock sensors.

I also had to retard the ignition by 7 degrees for it to be zeroed when froze at 10 degrees. Is this somthing to be concerned about or just normal?

Thanks Andy

For the fuel press sensor, use cal 4,5 or 6 and set up like below.  The TI calibration is close - only 5psi out at full scale so that is not the problem but still might as well correct it.  

As a quick test to validate deadtimes, try this:

1. Set idle target to 1500-2000RPM so you have a nice stable fast idle.
  2. Turn off CLL.
  3. Set whole lambda target table to 1.0 and adjust all the cells around the current operating point so that measured lambda matches target (so you have a block of cells around the idle area all with the same value).
  4. Change the lambda target table to 0.95, note what the measured lambda settles at.  Change the target lambda to 1.05, note what the measured lambda settles at.
  5. If deadtimes are somewhere close the measured lambda will follow commanded target lambda quite well.  If you get large over or undershoot then highlight the whole deadtime table and adjust all values up or down a few points and try the test again. 

r0BjT5D.png

Thanks for your time and reply.

I will update the table with 0-145psi using cal 4. I did try this before like you have using the units 1000 KPA but then when i changed back to imperial psi on my units it reverted to 150psi not 145psi and i dont think it let me modify it (i could be wrong about modifying and ill give it another go.

ill also give this fast idle lambda Target a go.

I wont be able to test it tomorrow so i will feedback on friday. Ill record the log and upload it too.

Many thanks Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Adam,

Sorry for being so late in the reply. I have since sorted a couple of issues out including manifold gasket leaks. I have also fitted new wideband Bosch knock sensors to hopefully help with the tuning.

I have one question which has me stumped (PS i will try what you suggested last time tomorrow with the deadtimes but i do not think this is the issue im having currently.

I am doing a pull up to around 4-5k rpm but when i let off the throttle, under full vaccum the injectors seem to start at around 3% duty cycle, but then switch to 0% duty cycle after a couple of seconds, even though the fuel table is still requiesting around 78% fuel.

Ive tried to attach the log but it is 9,000kb. Even compressed it is still over 4,000kb. Is there anyway to shorted the file size or take a snippet to upload?

Cheers Andy

Just realised if i delete the old log file off this thread it allows the upload of the new one.

Heres the new one.

Cheers Andy

1 hour ago, All the gear no idea said:

I am doing a pull up to around 4-5k rpm but when i let off the throttle, under full vaccum the injectors seem to start at around 3% duty cycle, but then switch to 0% duty cycle after a couple of seconds, even though the fuel table is still requiesting around 78% fuel.

Overrun fuel cut, as the name suggests is a fuel cut that is applied during overrun conditions.  

image.png.e54e8202e535eecc4ce3bca7a7c923e0.png

Could you please take a quick look at this Log File. I did as you said before with the injectors and lambda. I had to modify the Dead times by around +0.08 which in turn has given me more fuel for the same number in the %fuel table.

I am however struggling with even getting the car to rev out. It will free stand rev up to the rev limit of 7600 but when under load in 2nd, or 3rd gear, it will not go over 6000 rpm. If you keep your foot down even when its there, it does not sound happy at all, POPS and farts like somthing is restricting it and the revs dont increase.

I have calibrated the ignition angle too but i will do it again as a precautionary measure. But even when changing the angle in the ignition table, it still doesnt want to rev.

Thanks for your time. Andy

I also didnt realise my AFRs were so far away from the target. I have tweaked the Map so they are running closer to the Target AFR and it Ran through to nearly 7000Rpm without stuttering. I will give it another test tomorrow and report back. I also adjusted my ignition delay from 40ms up to 130ms on the Crank trigger calibration and that seems to have got it staying rock solid at 10 degrees.

So, it is now much happier and revs all the way up now. I have started to see if i can control the boost solanoid (its a 4 port) and intoduce more than 8psi of boost (wastegate spring pressure). It seems to be activating some ignition retard, and for the life of me i cannot figure out what is doing it. It is like a limit cut activating and it stops the engine. Ive scanned through all the ignition adjustment tables that i can find but none seem to be causing it. Its causing it to retard by around 5 degrees.

PS i know i have some boost creep issues. Which i have narroed down to my wastegate diaphrams sticking.

Ive atached the Log file from todays runnings.

Thanks for your patience.

Andy

I believe ive just found the answer to my own Question. MAP limit table was set to 34.8 PSI. Ive upped the table and will give it a go tomorrow and see how i get on.

Thanks Andy