Mx-5 mk2.5 VVTi trigger offset question

AN7

As I was going through the manual today I just noticed that there were known values for vvt trigger offset that for some reason I hadn't seen before and I had the offset set up the manual way, with the cam angle test.

The manual says 87degrees offset but mine was between 102.8-103.1 consistent and checked it again.

The cam timing was checked when I was starting the tuning of the car and it was correct(mostly). I know that the head was skimmed slightly just to get the surface right at the time of the engine build, and that was just about visible on the cam gears as they were just a -hair- off of the marks(not even close to half tooth). but 25° isn't too much to be from this?

What I want to ask, before I start digging deeper in the engine, from what spec car were the values you got? (ie. ADM, '03 1.8) so to check if there could be differences in stock cam timing or different cams

I wouldnt worry about it too much.  If the engine runs ok, idles smoothly, the cam position shows zero at idle and follows target when commanded then it is likely fine.  I have no idea what engine we got the info from or if there are variations of it.   

• 2 weeks later...

Coming back to this, I double checked today cam timing and sure it was off by 1 tooth on the intake and the exhaust. Intake retarded exhaust advanced

Wtf I checked back then i am wondering.

Timed it correctly and now my readings are matching the manual.

So 1 tooth is 16° :P