BMW E36 6.0l V8 L96 + G4 Xtreme

ChrisDriftWorld

Hi @all, 

I am Chris, living in Dubai and currently setting up a new project: E36 Coupe with an L96 (Vortec 6000) engine and T56 manual gearbox. As ECU, I got a used G4 Xtreme which I want to use to power it up. Currently, the car is stripped completely and gets the roll cage. After that, engine/transmission installation and wiring for ECU will be next step.

So far, I am looking for information about signals and maybe a startup base map. 

I will keep you up to date, pics and progress will follow :-) 

If anyone has any useful information, I would appreciate it! 

Many thanks & best regards,

Chris

On 12/28/2021 at 5:51 PM, Adamw said:

So is it an old red G4 Xtreme?

11 hours ago, Adamw said:

can you confirm which ecu you have.

Since you havent confirmed what ecu you have I will assume it is a Red G4 xtreme (not a G4+).  The Red xtreme doesnt have the onboard driver for E-throttle, you will need one of our external modules, either this one: https://dealers.linkecu.com/G4RET or the older one that was in a finned extruded case. 

From memory the L96 had some sort of variable cam timing, I dont know of anyone that has tried that with a G4 so cant say for sure if that will be supported, it should work but it will depend on how far the cam can move and whether the trigger mode can stay in sync.  You will have to try it to find out.  

As for wiring, most of the basics such as power and grounds and relays etc are covered in the help file.  

Cam and crank sensors as below:

VQii4q9.png

Coils:

YSR6ksq.png

As for triggermode it should start using the Chev LS2/LS7 mode, although you may need to experiment with other triggermodes later once running if you want VVT to work.  

• 1 month later...
On 12/31/2021 at 12:43 AM, Adamw said:

Since you havent confirmed what ecu you have I will assume it is a Red G4 xtreme (not a G4+).  The Red xtreme doesnt have the onboard driver for E-throttle, you will need one of our external modules, either this one: https://dealers.linkecu.com/G4RET or the older one that was in a finned extruded case. 

From memory the L96 had some sort of variable cam timing, I dont know of anyone that has tried that with a G4 so cant say for sure if that will be supported, it should work but it will depend on how far the cam can move and whether the trigger mode can stay in sync.  You will have to try it to find out.  

As for wiring, most of the basics such as power and grounds and relays etc are covered in the help file.  

Cam and crank sensors as below:

VQii4q9.png

Coils:

YSR6ksq.png

As for triggermode it should start using the Chev LS2/LS7 mode, although you may need to experiment with other triggermodes later once running if you want VVT to work.  

Thank you very much for the detailed feedback and explanation. It is the red G4 Xtreme. I am currently thinking of using another throttle body as people made good experience with the cable throttle bodies with position sensor for the LS engines and using  narrow band O2 sensors. 

The VVT I will try, otherwise it will be deleted by other cams. 

First I need to get the hardware installed as I received the car with the new cage a few days ago. 

Really looking forward to fire the V8 up.

:-)