2 Fuel Table for Vtec Engine

tbase

With 2 VE tables - one for the low cam and one for the high cam it means you can change the VTEC activation point at anytime in the future without needing to retune anything.  With a single fuel table it will need to be retuned (or at least touched up) if you ever change the VTEC activation point after the original tune.  

Having said that, for most cars I usually figure the ideal activation point during tuning and dont need to change it afterwards, so I most commonly just use a single table.  One of my friends with a K20 Juno however often changes his depending on what track he is running on so that he doesnt have VTEC activating right in the trickiest bit of the slowest corner or whatever - so it that car we have 2 tables.  

The general procedure would be the same as finding the best injection angle on a port injected engine - you just move it around while steady state until best torque or richest mixture is achieved.  I have only done a couple of GDI engines but the general trend I noticed was the earlier you start injecting the better power it will make.  But you can only go as far as somewhere around the point the exhaust valve closes.