Toyota Caldina st246 ECU piggyback

Rayhaan

Hi guys,

I was looking get different piggyback back ECU as at the moment I got Greddy emanage ultimate ecu but it's rare to get it tuned in New Zealand. So I was thinking of getting Link G4+ Atom X but I am not sure if it is going to work or not. As link kurofune is way out of my budget as it cost 2k NZD and atom costs 1.4k with loom A. 

If anyone can tell me if Link ECU G4+ Atom X & Loom "A" will work as piggyback ecu OR any other Link ECU on my 2005 Caldina GT4 N SPEC has Gen 5 3sgte, has few Aftermarket parts as well. Thanks 

How does the Gen5 3SGTE differ from the Gen4? In terms of running the engine I would recommend a Monsoon over the Atom for the extra IO that it has, I would expect you to run out of IO very quickly if using an Atom, you also don't need to purchase a loom, just the plug and pins should be enough if it is already piggybacked.

Do you know what wires go to the Greddy at the moment as that will also help with figuring out what the ECU needs to be able to do.

Gen 4 is Caldina ST215 and Gen 5 Caldina st246. Greddy ecu was install wen I brought the car so idk what wires wen where. 

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

How does the Gen5 3SGTE differ from the Gen4? In terms of running the engine I would recommend a Monsoon over the Atom for the extra IO that it has, I would expect you to run out of IO very quickly if using an Atom, you also don't need to purchase a loom, just the plug and pins should be enough if it is already piggybacked.

Do you know what wires go to the Greddy at the moment as that will also help with figuring out what the ECU needs to be able to do.

And Caldina GT4 is Auto 

15 hours ago, Rayhaan said:

Gen 4 is Caldina ST215 and Gen 5 Caldina st246

I'm aware of this, I mean in terms of engine electronics, do they have anything weird or different that you know of? I know people do use Gen5 engines with Gen4 electronics in MR2s but I believe they do this so they can run a factory ecu and the gen4 ecu is easier to make work in a different car.

Off the top of my head to piggyback a generic 4cyl turbo you will need to:

• Run the 4injector wires to the new ECU instead of the original.
  • Run the 4 ignition wires to the new ECU instead of the original, I am not sure what you would do with the factory coil feedback signal.
  • Branch off the crank and cam trigger wires so both ECUs get them, if hall effect type then the aftermarket ECU needs to have it's pullups off.
  • Branch off TPS and MAP, you could just use an aftermarket map sensor for the aftermarket ecu (Monsoon has an internal one).
  • branch of ECT (or add a separate one), if branching you cannot be applying your own pullup (So can't use an AN Temp pin on Atom or Monsoon for this) and might need to make a custom calibration.
  • Probably just add your own IAT.
  • Maybe take control of the fuel pump with the aftermarket ECU?
  • Power and ground supplies to aftermarket ECU.
  • link signal grounds, probably leave 5V disconnected from factory loom.

Does the Gen5 have E-Throttle or just standard cable throttle?

Are you able to look at the piggyback wiring and figure out how it has been piggybacked? (follow each wire going to the Greddy ECU back to the factory loom and figure out what the wire does based on a factory ECU pinout and whether it is connected to both the factory ECU and the Greddy or just the Greddy)

• 3 months later...