PWM Fan Controller issue-Mitsubishi Lancer Controller.

Gsab

I posted in the G4 section.

Controller is same as Mitsubishi Lancer PWM controller.

Advice please, just fitted the same as above PWM controller today.

Thunder Ecu

Aux 2 -Constant Freq.  3.9kHz

Cond. 1 and 2

Switch cond 1- ECT.

Ect greater than 70 Deg C.

Switch cond 2 - Rpm above 500.

Two dimensional  table setup as ETC vs RPM.

50 to 120 deg C- 500 Rpm and above.

100% below 80 deg C, 90 %, 70 %,50 %,10 %and 5 % for the next few 10 deg increments.

All active above 500 Rpm.

No joy in getting this working.

Controller is brand new and is defaulting to max on when PWM wire is disconnected .

Fan starts ramping up to full speed  from cold start up, does switch off when ignition is switched off.

The Mitsi fan controllers work opposite of the aux output.  So when the aux output is "on", the fan is off, and when the aux is off the fan will be at full speed.    

With the conditions you have on the aux, below 70°C your aux is going to be off so your fan will be running at full speed.  

Yup, done that, thanks.

The Audi question was a legit query. I also have my RB34 Navara with Thunder as well, wanted to see if I could make that work.We do not have the Lancer here, so parts for the S14 were brought in from NZ. I only got the one controller.

I'm using a Mitsubishi fan controller and it's working really well.

I think maybe your "issue" could be that you've got Switch Conditions enabled - you probably don't need them, and can rely purely on the 2d PWM table of ECT/RPM.

I have a chargecooler, so want the fan always running to maintain airflow over the chargecooler radiator, but when sitting with a cold engine, making configuration changes etc, I have the top row to keep the fans off. You could do something similar with your top row at 69 degrees, for example, and that'll keep it off until the ECT reaches 70. You could do the same with the leftmost column for RPM.

image.png.bc3ab996de7a69083a7aa8e18ce32560.png

Thank you, I actually had this table from the old G4 post you did many moons ago.

I have not yet done wheel speed , just fitted new sensors in December, wiring to be done.

Ive stuck with my plain little table and it is working well. As Adam mentioned above, it was as simple as getting the ETC "greater/lesser than" setting correct. A sly little setting was the 50deg C ETC threshold I put in, would run the fans from cold until 50 deg, switch off and then start following the table data I had set. Put this to 0 deg and sorted.

At temperature all is fine but for the control module going into thermal protection and shutting down. Disconnecting one of the two fans sorts that out. I shall get a Nissan Infinity module, same as Lancer locally and run two units.

Is the PWM ecu out impedance critical? As in can I series connect on PWM Aux to both controllers ? Cannot get my head around that one yet. But yea, very pleased with the effort and thanks to all for the help. :-)

Have you positioned the controller in the airflow? On the Galant/Legnum VR-4 I took mine from, it was mounted behind the fans, which I guess is to help with preventing the thermal shutdown with the higher load.

I'm running 2x 10" cheap aftermarket fans, so probably not as high current as OEM or higher quality fans, but haven't had any overheating issues.

I did not, will be making a heat sink for it as well as mounting it in some cold airflow area.

I am running the twin fan unit from the old Alfa Romeo 156...

These things were diabolical when hard switched, the reason I am now going PWM control.

What is your opinion on driving 2x controllers with one PWM output ?