Link and ZF Communication?

OlegD

Good afternoon. I am using your Link G4+ Xtreme Red ECU to control my turbocharged BMW S50B32 engine. This year I am implementing a plan to install a ZF 8HP70 automatic transmission. Right now, the motor has a mechanical throttle actuator. I can install an electronic pedal if required. But I see that the software has disabled the ability to control torque:

1633615119__1.thumb.png.dcb6473bf7122f92ddd6bfc2778769b7.png

And so I have a few questions for you:

1) is there any way to enable this feature now? Will the automatic transmission work normally?

2) if it is impossible to activate, will I be forced to purchase another device like the G4X-series, because in modern software I see the possibility of torque management and the parameters are available for regulation? Will the Thunder (but it is G4+!!) cope with this task?

1959546947__2.thumb.png.5dfe27ea531c04657c09fbe7450f3422.png

3) do I need to purchase a separate control unit for the transmission, for example, such as the one offered by the manufacturer HTG (Gear Control Unit), or do your devices fully communicate via CAN-bus with the transmission?

4) BMW has security access devices such as the EWS4-module. It can interfere with transmission control. Is there a way to bypass this protection?

In G4+ only the plug-in ECU's had the torque management feature as it was tied into OEM CAN messages for specific models - mostly 350Z.  

G4X has a more general purpose torque estimation and torque management function as well as realtime math channels to do more complex tasks but I still dont think it will give you all the tools you need.

The way you would do torque management with a wire-in G4+ ECU would be using a 4D ignition table and a 2nd E-throttle table that are both activated when there is a TR request from the trans controller. 

If HTG support the ZF gearbox you want to use then that would be the recommended route.  Reverse engineering it yourself will be a complicated and very big undertaking, and if there are any special CAN messages required with for example available toruqe or some other calculated value the G4+ wont be able generate those messages.  

I have no idea about the EWS4.

• 2 months later...
On 1/17/2022 at 11:56 AM, Adamw said:

In G4+ only the plug-in ECU's had the torque management feature as it was tied into OEM CAN messages for specific models - mostly 350Z.  

Does G4+ Gtrlink plug-in ECU include torque management function?

I´m also planning ZF 8hp70 installation behind RB25det controlled with G4+ plugin ECU. Is there a possibilty to use plug-in ECU torque management function if separate transmission controller is able to produce similar CAN message as OEM solution.

If it is possible what would be the requirements for CAN message?

• 2 weeks later...

I couldnt confidently answer that for a G4+ without trying it myself.  The most simple option would be the 350Z method where the ECU has a 3D table to output estimated current torque to the trans, then when the trans wants to shift it requests a specific torque reduction value (ie reduce current torque by 67Nm).  As far as I know the reduction is in place for as long as the request is >0.  In G4+ the TR is done only with retard so with a turbo engine you are quite limited how much reduction you can achieve.